Q: Numeric Modifier?

yp

Hi,

this question may sound odd - but is there a way to control specific numeric values of items in a modifier stack through an imaginable numeric controller? Maybe one modifier for each number to control, maybe with randomization "function" (add, substract, range, functions)..

I guess there is no native way to do that and probably its just not possible, but I'm wondering why..

E.g. I have a whole lot of instanced lights but I would like to add some randomization to the power and color - the only chance I have now is to use scripts like "randomize lights" to make them unique and give them random values. But this is not the greatest way to deal with a lot of lights - and it's almost impossible to make later changes..

What do you guys say?

Edited by yp

Without being sure what exactly you are trying to d, I can make 2 general suggestions.

Wire Parameters, along with the Attribute Holder Modifier may be of use. You just use (Alt+1) to access the parameter dials,spinners, etc that you want to use.

The second thought is if you just want random material values, you can use the Material Element Modifier and a VrayMultiSubTex (or similar) to drive random values on instances. Vray 3.1 actually added a feature to no longer need the Material Element modifier.

Corey,

well, sorry for confusing ;)

It is interesting to follow your proposal, did not come across the wire parameters and attribute holder possibilies often. I'll have closer look.

For now I just created a dummy object with attribute holder and linked the vray light multiplier to it.

Actually what I would be looking for is a working method to add random values of a certain range to wired attributes for each instance / reference.

Would be creating interesting results, might be size / rotation changes of objects, would add different power / temperature values to lights on so on.