V-Ray shader values for a realistic brick material

TomasEsperanza

Anyone got some tried and tested values for a realistic basic standard 20th century red brick?

I'm applying settings, with a reasonably good grasp of V-Ray shader settings, however I really haven't nailed a satisfying brick shader yet! ...I'm mean I can do an okay one but...

Specifically I'm referring to values related to IOR, reflectivity, glossiness, bump, displacement, and output node, and map values.

Getting a small amount of reflectivity and varying amount of glossiness, is where I'm struggling at the moment. Obviously, basic brick is very diffuse, however, everything has some reflectivity, and getting the balance just right may be more to do with the lighting scenario.

I have an HDRI and a V-Ray Sun working together, but perhaps I need more foliage etc to bounce light off (onto the walls).

Tried and tested values would be a useful guide in the right direction.

C'mon guys, how do you set up your brick shader?!

BrickMaterial.jpg

btw - this is just a work in progress so please ignore the unfinished scene; placeholder materials, mapping, etc.

Edited by TomasEsperanza

VrayDisplacementMod is what I rely on. If you want varying reflections on each brick and you're using a huge brick texture map then I think you'd be best off dodging/burning certain bricks on the reflection map in Photoshop.

Good idea Bradley, I've done this before and forgotten that trick, thanks. What are typical ballpark settings for your glossiness and IOR values in the material.

Ok, I'll keep tweaking my brick material and post an update at some point.

I figure that this is such a fundamental aspect of Arch-viz, but the variety of approaches and results vary among visualisers. I am sometimes surprised at how basic or complex people's fundamental materials can be. From basic bitmap, with default shader, to gazillions of procedural maps and hand painted unwraps. So, I think I'm looking to establish an expedient yet realistic procedure. I tend to make materials on the fly, but want to put time into some for re-use. Sometimes glass and metals can be easier to make look good than the more humble basics, like paint and stone.

Edited by TomasEsperanza

One trick I will chip in with is this. If you find your brick (or tile) diffuse is either too uniform or has visible repitition then you can combine with procedural max tile map inside of a composite map to add variation. Tile your base map a few times then set the tile map values to suit. I usually turn grout width to zero, then adjust fade variance and random seed values to add required variation.

Brick Map Tut 4.jpg

Brick Map Tut 3.jpg

Brick Map Tut 1.jpg

Brick Map Tut 2.jpg

One trick I will chip in with is this. If you find your brick (or tile) diffuse is either too uniform or has visible repitition then you can combine with procedural max tile map inside of a composite map to add variation. Tile your base map a few times then set the tile map values to suit. I usually turn grout width to zero, then adjust fade variance and random seed values to add required variation.

Very cool, nice one!

The material doesn't really look bad. I would say whats killing it the most is the application. (IE: UV map and wall model)

I tend to model out sections of walls that are in close proximity to the camera. (Realize your comment was more on material.)

Yes that's a point - I suppose one can't really assess whether a material is working or not when placed in such a way. With a bit more modelling, and the UV mapping sorted, it could be fine.

' Good to know there are a few tools to employ (displacement, procedural brick, etc.) if necessary. I had been concerned that the shader wasn't contributing all it could to the finished material, but again it could be the context/placement of the material more than anything else.