Photoshop- change background layer's name permanently

branskyj

Hi all,

Every time we open a new image in Photoshop it is being placed on a layer called Background. Then for some adjustments to be possible we need to change that name to something else.

Is there any way to avoid that?

I am sick of renaming or duplicating the layer just so I can do future edits on it, I know it's just 2-3 clicks to accomplish that, but I have been doing it for the past several years.

My idea is- is it possible to open a new image and to have that image on an already dully editable layer?

Thank you very much.

If you are comping together any render elements with your beauty pass you may find it best to use the "Load into Stack" script under the File Menu. This will name each layer with the file name loaded and there is no Background layer at all.

Something I'm less familiar with, but would imagine is pretty easy to figure out is to create a recorded action in PS.

Hi Corey,

I have only used the "Load into stack" function once or twice... I guess I never needed it.

I use Photoshop mostly for creating seamless textures or editing existing once but individually not in bulks.

Thanks for the advice anyway and have a good weekend.

Jules.

It's hard for me to test because I don't know what "some adjustments" you are talking about, but the Background layer has a little lock on the far right. Does clicking that make things better? It's still one click, but it's not bad.

For what it's worth, I figure PShop loads to a locked background on the assumption that if you are loading a jpeg you plan on saving as a jpeg (for instance). If it loaded into a floating layer then it wouldn't qualify as a jpeg any more as layers are a fancy feature.

Your dream sounds like a nice and easy to implement wishlist feature though. Send it on, maybe we'll get it.

Thanks Peter,

but clicking on the lock icon once does nothing and clicking twice brings the standard floating box which I get if I double clicked on the Background wording.

I don't think Adobe would implement that just because it is valuable for me. It looks like a safety feature (if I can even call it that), I was just wondering if there is a secret integrated option or another way of disabling it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the effort guys.