Display texture in viewport when using texture in VRayLightMtl?

branskyj

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a solution or a workaround to my problem- 3DS Max won't display the textures used in VRayLightMtl. Even if I were to set the intensity of the VRayLightMtl to 0 or 0.001 it would either turn my object black or dark gray but will never let the texture through the light.

My workaround is to temporarily replace the VRayLightMtl with a standard VRay material, do the things I need (unwrap or whatever) and then go back to VRayLightMtl.

But with my last project I had a bulk of objects that needed this change and that slowed me down considerably.

Thank you very much.

I've also had this problem and was using the same workaround for a while. The answer is to come out of the bitmap to main settings for your light material. Then instead of just clicking the checkered symbol to display in viewport, hold it and you will get another option to show realistic texture in viewport (blue and white checker). That should do the trick!

Hi Stephen,

thank you very much for the help. I was actually aware of the "show realistic" option. Unfortunately when I click on it the check-box doesn't stay on it. That only happens when I use VRayLightMtl by the way. I even switched to Direct3D (I normally use Nutrious) and there was no change.

3DS Max 2014 SP5 and VRay 3/08 here.

Cheers mate.

"Once you've switched to "show realistic" just do a single click again to turn it on. No?"- No, it doesn't place a check mark next to "Show realistic material in viewport", it remains un-ticked. Although for normal VRAy material it does work properly. I even tried it at home (3DS Max 2014 again, just V-Ray 2.50.01) and same problem occurs. Weird.

"You could try this: http://www.ramyhanna.com/2014/06/viewport-tricks.html"- that worked great. I didn't even think of using the Shell material. It add couple of more steps to the process but at least works perfectly fine now.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. That was bugging me for a while :)

Have a nice weekend.

Turn the color of vray light material to black. The texture will then be visible in viewport.

It doesn't work for me...the object turns black with no sign of the texture. And I know it's not the UVs because I can see the same texture perfectly fine with normal material applied.

Thanks anyway, mate.

Oh, you will and you will now ;)

Create VrayLightMtl and apply bitmap to colorslot as usual...

Click mouse button on perspective viewport "Realistic" in the high left corner and then > Materials > Realistic materials with maps

Then click RMB on your VrayLightMtl and apply "Show Realistic Material in viewport"

Thats all

Edit: Like Marcin said in his PM I had to change the Material preview to "Realistic Materials with Maps" not only in the Material Editor but also in the viewport (by clicking on Realistic/Shaded then Materials-Realistic Materials with Maps.

Settings I remember vaguely from the first time I set up my 3DS Max years ago :)

Thank you very much Marcin and to all of you guys.

Edited by branskyj