how would you make that facade?

philippelamoureux

I've modeled the whole building and environment because I like the building. I'm not too sure how to make the perforated facade!!!

Here's what it looks like img_glessner_04.jpg

It's a pain to find the exact pattern since the building doesn't exist and there are not many pictures of it on the net.

Should I manually draw the pattern in photoshop and use the picture as a displacement map in vray? Do you guys have some tips to draw such patterns ? Thanks!

Wish I had those cad plans lol

Edited by philippelamoureux

Grasshopper can do stuff like that for a model, but if you're in Max I would suggest using an alpha map and not displacement. There's a number of ways you can create the alpha in PS or AI. AI might be a better choice for a halftone treatment since it will be scalable. Give that a shot in AI - Effect - Pixelate - Color Halftone. You can use any image you want, difference clouds made in PS would work just fine for a random pattern.

Forest Pack with one cylinder and using a large noise map for distribution, color, and scale. Render just that mesh on it's own layer and render the building behind on another. Comp them together in PS and use the alpha from the Forest Facade to control the "opacity" of the screen.

You aren't really that close in the view to notice too much depth on the funky screen.

It doesn't look like the holes are random sizes so a generative model is not worth getting into. I would merely create a simple halftone pattern in AI and apply that as an opacity map. Along with this I would suggest painting the "yes/no" pattern in photoshop and use the Mask Map in standard maps to tell Max where to and not to allow the holes. Along with this "yes/no" map I would paint a dark/light coloration map for your diffuse. The Material itself will cut this diffuse map up so there is no need to incorporate any masking or holes in that map.

I know this is basically a combo of the other two responses, but I thought worth responding with.

Edit: If you want, you can gaussian blur the AI, holes map in PS to use as a displacement or simple bump to help add depth to the cutouts.

I made a halftone pattern texture in photoshop and it's working well. Like Scott said, I'll stick to a far view so the depth doesn't matter that much. Doing it in corona and I like the result so far. I'll post it once it's done! Night shots with the illuminated facade looks really cool :-)

Update : This web app is incredible. You can make a vectorial halftone map from any image, for free. Lot of custom settings. My facade is going to look great with that :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I would really like to make a facade with depth finally. I tried displacement but it's not as good as I'd like it to be. I'm thinking about using a plugin like Spline Trace but I don't think there is a up-to-date version for 3ds max 2014. Do you guys know a good similar plugin? thanks

This is an example of one facade wall bitmap I've made. I have a better tiff version(exported from a vectorial version in pdf) which is really black/white. It's too drastic for displacement I think. I get weird results. Maybe spline tracer could help me make a shape that I could extrude after to get the depth I want.

raster5.jpg

Found a way possibly...a online .PDF to .DWG converter. Works wonder. Now I'm gonna import the .dwg in max and play with it. I'll post results.

UPDATE : I've done it, YAY! full 3d halftone pattern facade wall! Here's the final workflow for those who are interested. Created a greyscale image made of parts of Rufino Tamayo's paintings (it's how it's really made by BIG/ROJKIND), transformed the image into a vectorial pdf with Rasterbator.net. Transformed the pdf into a dwg, imported the dwg in max, converted it to editable poly and finally used pro boolean on it. Now have full 3d wall and with the Corona's round corner option on textures, I don't even need to bevel the edges!!!

YAY.jpg

i wouldn't recreate another studios image of tamayo museum.

is this a folio piece?

its best to make original images otherwise you are no better than those men with laptops making endless white scandanvian loft images.

thanks

Yea I understand but at the same time pretty much everything has been done already. When I started the model, I thought the building was existing in real life (lol). I decided to continue anyway because I made it for the learning process. Now, if the renders are going to end up on my site or no, not 100% sure yet.

It's like the Barcelona pavilion... (for example) everybody has done it...but it's still legit to have your own in your portfolio if you have done a good job. We are not content creater...we visualize stuff...

If I want to visualize unbuilt architecture, I pretty much have to take existing renderings as reference. If I want to visualize existing buildings, 95% chance they've been visualized already. It's gonna be like that until I get real paid jobs, but for now I need to display my skills somewhere. I do have 1 original project tho. A luxury marina in Qatar. I'm doing the texture work as we speak!