Creating a furniture model collection for the industry

aristocratic3d

HI,

I was planning to create some bed models; may be 100 of different style.

That will cover mostly used style for visualization. for example I believe you would not choose a certain type of bed models for your clean hotel room visualization. the collection of bed models available online ( I checked turbusquid) are not as great. although you get most of them for almost no price ($15-$40) but yet you need a certain style for your visualization. some clean but 100% realistic models.

Anyway, I am attaching some images of a bed model I have created for a very good client of mine. But I am wondering if it worth to put my time to create a collection of beds like that. I meant this quality.

Cam_7.RGB_color.0000.jpg

Also i have in mind that if I create about 30 types of mattress I can fit those in into thousand of bed models. It could be a 2-4 month project for me.

Please let me know if I am not in the right track. If I get positive feedback from you guys I will most-likely start the project.

Thanks for your input.

Abdullah

Cam_2.RGB_color.0000.jpg

Cam_5.RGB_color.0000.jpg

You said it yourself. There is a need for a certain style. If that style is not present in markets like on turbosquid, you might be on to something. Most of the stuff i have seen resembles the style you show here. Its all a matter of taste, culture and region. I would never be in need of the style you are showing no matter how well it was done. Simply because the work i do, is aimed for the European/Scandinavian market.

So my advice would be to look for inspiration in various design magazines/trends across the biggest markets and then see what is available currently for that segment. If something is missing, do those models first and see where it goes ;)

(good model work by the way!)

Hundred of beds might be a little too much. You seem to have good modelling skills. Try to see what is really in demand on turbosquid and sites like that and model it. Imo beds ,especially matresses, aren't THAT important. What's important is the bed covers/sheets/pillows. Maybe focus on making very photoreal cover/sheets instead?

Do you use marvelous designer? if no, you should really try it.

Our work is actually western market oriented. we do no local work whatsoever. Jens suggested to study about the demand, but I have almost no marketing skill. So if I get a helping hand from the west that would be great. The idea can be, you know your market already, so do a little more study on what you would do if you were in my place. if we end up with a right decision we can begin the project. invest only 10% cost and rip 50% of the net profit.

I have a large team here. Some times one of us submit a project for client review and keep waiting for his/their feedback. as its too difficult to take on a new project for 4-5 hours (by the time client give feedback) we need to do something in that time.

On the other hand if we can start this project I am planning we can forget about doing marketing as we have now enough work. specially the project does not have a tight deadline.

@Philippe, yes we do work with MV.

Let me know your thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in your bed collection, especially the luxury hotel types, there are tons of messy beds for sale but very few clean photoreal beds. Sometimes, the client wants a neat bed but still with wrinkles and stuff to make it look less stiff, I think this is the hardest thing to do, and actually the messy bed is the easiest thing, you just drop stuff in Marvelous designer and then move it around to make it messy.

100 is way too much! I think 10-20 high end bed styles is more than enough. I suggest you look Starwood hotels on flickr feed, they own many luxury hotels I believe and post images of their suites, copy a few of those bed designs and I will buy them instantly!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1589588@N21/pool/

Edited by artmaknev

I would be interested in your bed collection, especially the luxury hotel types, there are tons of messy beds for sale but very few clean photoreal beds. Sometimes, the client wants a neat bed but still with wrinkles and stuff to make it look less stiff, I think this is the hardest thing to do, and actually the messy bed is the easiest thing, you just drop stuff in Marvelous designer and then move it around to make it messy.

100 is way too much! I think 10-20 high end bed styles is more than enough. I suggest you look Starwood hotels on flickr feed, they own many luxury hotels I believe and post images of their suites, copy a few of those bed designs and I will buy them instantly!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1589588@N21/pool/

Thanks for detail suggestions. Its really helpful. I must rethink about bed models.

I exactly had the same idea you have.

Just Need accurate planning and smart idea before i land into a project.

Market is overloaded with beds.

The missing stuff is TV sets and living rooms.

Also, kids room sets would be nice, like 1-2 beds, maybe one-over-other, some desk, wardrobe and toys, in different moods.

Good luck and cheers!

Really?

i have a million tv sets to choose from.. evermotion has a bunch and there are heaps elsewhere as well.

Maybe try half generic chairs/tables that everyone needs and wants.. Aeron, Herman miller, philippe starck, Emes etc etc

and half more expensive and rare items..

Really?

i have a million tv sets to choose from.. evermotion has a bunch and there are heaps elsewhere as well.

Maybe try half generic chairs/tables that everyone needs and wants.. Aeron, Herman miller, philippe starck, Emes etc etc

and half more expensive and rare items..

I agree that TV sets are not needed. desk wardrobe and toys are not needed as well. (IMHO). these simple things I would model myself instead of searching for one in the market.

HI,

I was working on a chair model. here are two renderings I made-

1zwc1zl.jpg

a8hvc.jpg

As you can see. one with stitching one is without. I was wondering if a chair model with such detail are needed in the industry. i had my client asked for that detail some times. when a particular item is in close to camera.

these models can be used for product shot as well. are these detail needed?

BTW this is a branded chair. so not something very generic.

Your advice and feedback is very important to me. I am planning my work based on your feedback. as you are my customers at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance.

Abdullah

As you can see. one with stitching one is without. I was wondering if a chair model with such detail are needed in the industry. i had my client asked for that detail some times. when a particular item is in close to camera.

these models can be used for product shot as well. are these detail needed?

BTW this is a branded chair. so not something very generic.

Your advice and feedback is very important to me. I am planning my work based on your feedback. as you are my customers at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance.

Abdullah

Depends on price.. if they where the same cost then obviously people would choose the higher detailed one.. but if it was say an extra 25% for some stitching, then maybe not.

I have never had a client say to me "Can that sofa have stitching on it" but the need will depend on a shot to shot basis depending how close you are to the camera.

If you are selling them then you wont make much from people doing 'product shots'. People doing these shots need to model a specific item and it is doubtful that you would have that item already modelled as 95% of the time it is a new item they are showing off.

Depends on price.. if they where the same cost then obviously people would choose the higher detailed one.. but if it was say an extra 25% for some stitching, then maybe not.

I have never had a client say to me "Can that sofa have stitching on it" but the need will depend on a shot to shot basis depending how close you are to the camera.

If you are selling them then you wont make much from people doing 'product shots'. People doing these shots need to model a specific item and it is doubtful that you would have that item already modelled as 95% of the time it is a new item they are showing off.

you brought up an important point. "price".

Would you buy the product bellow with the price set- http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-chair-room-conference/889797

Also how well do they sell?

you brought up an important point. "price".

Would you buy the product bellow with the price set- http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-chair-room-conference/889797

Also how well do they sell?

I would personally not pay 59 USD for a chair like that. Unless client REALLY needs it. I would pay for very cutting-edge design stuff to make a stunning scene, maybe, but not for a standard office chair like that. I would not put that kind of furniture in my personal projects that's why it's not worth it imo.

You gotta see if there are free alternatives too, there are lots of design chairs for free on the web, not so much high end kitchen appliance, like ovens and stuff like that. I wouldn't mind paying 30-50$ for a very well made refrigerator, for example.

Edited by philippelamoureux

This is the type of bed I was talking about earlier, very neat but yet has that slight wrinkle - very hard to achieve this quality inmo. Its very hard to find this type of beds for sale, there are some neat, not messy beds, but they look very stiff and cg.

I think the main competition for that kind of stuff would be sites like this - http://www.designconnected.com/catalog/productslist/filter/sleep-furniture_c6

There are a bunch of beds there, some well priced some not, but mostly quite good quality

I think the main competition for that kind of stuff would be sites like this - http://www.designconnected.com/catalog/productslist/filter/sleep-furniture_c6

There are a bunch of beds there, some well priced some not, but mostly quite good quality

With all respect to design connected, its true that their beds are realistic but not the models Artmaknev is talking about. I understand what you Artmaknev is talking about. I will definitely give it a try.

Will post here.

With all respect to design connected, its true that their beds are realistic but not the models Artmaknev is talking about. I understand what you Artmaknev is talking about. I will definitely give it a try.

Will post here.

See I dont think the bed that Artmaknev posted is any more detailed than say this one..

http://www.designconnected.com/category/sleep-furniture/Husk-Bed_p5794

3a87a9a938bf51c4fdc4209741542cd5.jpg

b2489878c10195fbb55f8009f44c5567.jpg

6d76e252a663458f47458ffaa5185070.jpg

See I dont think the bed that Artmaknev posted is any more detailed than say this one..

Yes. some of them. are really great. BTW, I also did not meant that those models are not realistic and detailed. I meant the models that Artmaknev is talking about is of a different type.

http://www.designconnected.com/category/sleep-furniture/Onda_p5845

Edited by aristocratic3d

I try my best not to buy and pay for models, mostly model up myself. Chances of using the model again is VERY low. ALways different chairs etc that have to be used, and paying that price for a once off...no, I try to avoid.

How do you afford to work on projects then? I myself being here in 3rd world have to buy model some times. after looking at project deadline and complexity of that particular furniture piece. I count that time. when I know it will take 5 hours to model but the project deadline is tomorrow. I have to buy that model. there is no alternative. :(

Marius, you must be a good modeler!

Cant say I can model everything and not the best.....but at the price models sell its not worth it for a once off, for me atleast. I have bought and do buy on very rare occasions. If you have so much work that you cannot spend any time on modeling then its a different story all together. I do not have 3 projects a week. I have around one a week. That said, most furniture are from catalogs and I model them up moslty.

Cant say I can model everything and not the best.....but at the price models sell its not worth it for a once off, for me atleast. I have bought and do buy on very rare occasions. If you have so much work that you cannot spend any time on modeling then its a different story all together. I do not have 3 projects a week. I have around one a week. That said, most furniture are from catalogs and I model them up moslty.

yeah. your story is different then.