archicad to nice vray-render >Din3D

luckyluc

We are looking for the best way to import a Archicad model to use in 3DS-max and render in Vray. Is Din3d still the best option.

It is a pretty big building, so how much time do you think we need to get the model ready for realistic rendering?

Any tips are usefull. We don't have archicad ourselves, so we need the help of the archicad to export it. That's why I need some info upfront.

Agree, with above post... 3DS in parts...

We use Archicad to model buildings and 3d max and vray for furniture and rendering... The best way we find is to split the model out into parts and import into max separately on to separate layers.

For instance, we split the archicad model in to following 3ds files (NOTE: we are interior design company and mainly deal with fitout),

Building Core

Partitions (new internal walls)

Skirting

Flooring

Furniture

Ceiling

Roof

This give us the most flexibility within 3d max and allows for quick changes from the Archicad model to be easily imported into 3D max model. (why import the whole model again and retexturing if your just changed a partition wall). Also we take it a bit further and split the above parts into stories, ground floor, 1st floor, 2nd floor etc....

This seems long winded but we feel it gives us the best flexibility between the 2 programs and allows for design changes to be quickly implemented.

Hope this helps.

Keith

No we apply new vray materials. 3dmax / Vray materials are far better than archicad textures.. It is a little time consuming but once you have done a few jobs you can create a library of ur common materials and thus applying materials to the 3ds models becomes a lot quicker...

Note when you export from archicad, make sure you export to 3ds from archicad using following settings: Surfaces, drawing unit scale 1000mm.

This basically groups all objects which has the same archicad materials as one element, therefore say in your partitions 3ds file, you can apply a painted finish across all partitions rather than selecting them individually and applying a material.

Sounds confusing, but once you have done it a few times. it becomes quite straight forward.

I do exactly as Pixelman does, except it's no longer necessary to download a plugin to export to sketchup. You just go into the 3d view, and click FILE, SAVE AS and select .skp from the file extension.

I apply basic diffuse colours in Archicad and then save/export by layers.

These are usually floor/slabs, exterior walls and openings (no means of separating these in AC that I know of, do it in sketchup via "select by material"), wall claddings, interior walls and openings, structural columns, structural beams, roof structure, roof coverings, exterior hard landscaping etc etc

Then in 3DS/skp I combine these exported layers, and I apply my final materials.

Interesting to see that so many people do it in such a similar manner.

nice one - its all trial and error when flying solo :)

I do exactly as Pixelman does, except it's no longer necessary to download a plugin to export to sketchup. You just go into the 3d view, and click FILE, SAVE AS and select .skp from the file extension.

I apply basic diffuse colours in Archicad and then save/export by layers.

These are usually floor/slabs, exterior walls and openings (no means of separating these in AC that I know of, do it in sketchup via "select by material"), wall claddings, interior walls and openings, structural columns, structural beams, roof structure, roof coverings, exterior hard landscaping etc etc

Then in 3DS/skp I combine these exported layers, and I apply my final materials.

Interesting to see that so many people do it in such a similar manner.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Din3D was by far the best solution we'd found as it allowed you to update the model easily with no issues, including on very large and complex models. It also optimised things along the way and kept it all neat. Unfortunately he's now taken down the website and it would appear that its no longer available...

Din3D was by far the best solution we'd found as it allowed you to update the model easily with no issues, including on very large and complex models. It also optimised things along the way and kept it all neat. Unfortunately he's now taken down the website and it would appear that its no longer available...

Simon, this is concerning as it is a vital part of our workflow. What to use when it no longer works with new versions?...

• 4 months later...

Wish I new about Din3D a while ago and now I find out its defunct !!

A couple of months ago I started a 3dsmax uservoice for better Interoperability between Archicad and 3dsmax.

So vote this one up and we might get some action.

http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/80695-general-feature-requests/suggestions/13378272-archicad-support-importer-export

At the moment I use the Lumion exporter, exports to a dae file and comes in with each element separated like it is in Archicad.

It doesn't join any elements together, by layer or material.

However its short falling is its not file linked, so updating the model still has its issues.

• 5 months later...