Polygons messed up by lines.

paulhansen

Hey everyone

I'm trying to model a GoPro, but I'm running into a problem or two I don't know how to fix.

I started out by making a simple box where I chamfer the edges by choosing edit poly and then chamfer.

After that, I made the holes by drawing lines which I extruded and then I cut them out using ProBoolean.

3dproblem1.PNG

Now I want to make the inner edges chamfer as well. So as before, I choose edit poly, but some poly lines appear across the model.

3dproblem2.PNG

When I pick the edges I want to chamfer, the polygons are all messed up because of the lines.

3dproblem3.PNG

How can I solve this problem?

//Paul

Hi Paul

Check out grant warwicks free tutorial on hard surface moddeling:

It will give you a good understanding of how cutting, connecting edges and turbosmooth actually works.

If you are lazy you can skip to the 14min and the 1hour 9min mark to see some tips on how to do "cut outs".

Best of luck.

You can do it the way you are doing it but it becomes problematic. Try selecting the top and bottom faces (the big flat ones) and then inset the edge a bit. That will allow you to use chamfer on the holes. Another option would be to extrude those edges in and then bridge them to create the edge loop around the holes that is required for it to chamfer properly.

I do agree tho, it is almost simpler/easier to start over and make it a turbosmoothed mesh. Definitely a good skill to have/develop.