Curve Modelling for Revit

derekwilson

Good afternoon,

I am currently learning Revit to use in my professional practice. My work primarily involves schematic design, and the generation of project concepts, and does not require detailed construction drawings beyond simple elevations, floor plans, etc.

At present I am looking to start using parametric modelling in my designs. My understanding is that Revit has this capability; however, from what I gather, it is poorly suited to generating freeform surfaces or complex curves.

Is this correct? If so, I will need to learn another software. I am considering 3DS Max Design and Rhino / Grasshopper. Ease of use is a key factor, as is compatibility with Revit and its BIM capabilities.

My work will focus on buildings and masterplans, so with that in mind, any recommendation as to which software to learn would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have a picture of something like what you are trying to design? Parametric modeling is useful for something like a door where you will want different sizes but it really has nothing to do with an entire building.

The software you need to use will depend on what deliverable you want to give to your clients. If you are delivering plans then you need a different software then if you are delivering a rendering.

Revit is not good for freeform surfaces that is true. But the other options you listed can't really document your design, in any way other than a picture. It depends on what you are delivering.

We work on a range of projects, from entire community master plans down to individual streetscapes and structures. Our deliverables include (1) masterplan aerials, (2) masterplan 3d renderings, and (3) renderings of individual buildings.

Some images are included to give an example. Perhaps I should back up a bit - we are ultimately looking for end results like this. What software(s) do I need? I assume that I need four: a 3d modelling software (ie. Rhino/Grasshopper), a CAD/BIM software (Revit), a rendering software (ie. V-Ray), and a post-rendering effects software (ie. Photoshop).

Any help is appreciated.

1. Masterplan Aerial

zaha-hadid_%20277479.jpg

2. Masterplan Rendering

kartal.jpg

3. Building Rendering

rendering-of-the-torngasok-cultural-centre.jpg

For that type of work Rhino / Grasshopper will be your best choice, even ArchiCAD will perform better than REVIT for that organic type of design, Yes REVIT is not friendly to do loose design or organic modeling. Even Scketchup will do better in that scenario.

Now if you only model for Visualization then 3D MAx can do the whole deal, no problems. A parametric modeling software may have some advantage if the design change constantly, for instance Grasshoper can create all those strange organics shapes and change them in the fly over and over again, in 3D MAx it will be a little more clumsy.

If you have a lot of curves and stuff you can use Rhino to model as it is a NURBS based software, you are not limited by the constraints of Polygon based modelling, Sometimes, I also use Sketchup for modelling bcos it is so simple to use and again as it is non polygon based modelling, it does not restrict your creativity or the client's :p

I think Revit is a good software if you really need to like get some BIM data from it, also it is a best tool to get official plans, sections, elevations. There is a good system for Schedules(not timeline for 3dsmax users, this is what they refer to tables containing information) in Revit. There are ways you can get the Revit model into 3dsmax for rendering with 3dsmax so visualization can be taken care in 3dsmax.

Revit can definitly do the things you need, see the youtube tutorials for ''Revit+curved walls, surface parametric'' etc.

Yes there are better programms for the curvy stuff but I wouldnt buy another programm just because there are sometimes curvy buildings.

(An frankly, how often do you have to deal with curvy buildings unless you work for Zaha Hadid)

''I am considering 3DS Max Design and Rhino / Grasshopper. Ease of use is a key factor, as is compatibility with Revit and its BIM capabilities'''

If ease of use is a key factor then I wouldnt use Grashopper. I would go for Sketchup/Vray (Maxwell) or Rhino/Vray(Maxwell),

If you really need the BIM capabilities of Revit (and money is no issue) then I would go for a combo of Max and Revit as both are Autodesk products.

OP as you can see its a hard call to make. I would look at it this way.

1. Sketchup would be the fastest and cheapest way to model the above however that would be modeling it up not to from dimentions but from eye sketchup can do dimensions but its not great at it. Sketchup shines at creating architectural basic concepts rapidly. (and you can buy VRay for it).

2. Rhino - Its cheap and simple to use (if you have ever used autocad) and highly accurate ie. if you want for create a particular curve ect to me rhino is like making a building out of numbers v from eye. ie if you wanted to make a mug from some dimensions 100% correct rhino would be the option but it slow going. (and you can buy VRay for it)

3. 3dsMax - IMO probably the worst for accurate modeling however i'm no expert on it. It is however IMO the best option for rendering with Vray. If good visualization is important and you really just want to deal with just one program it might be the best option!

All three pieces of software have awesome export options so that should not be an issue. On a side note for 2d drawing rhino is awesome IMO better than both Autocad and illustrator. Both Rhino and Skechup are terrible for final print I always export and clean up in PS.

I would personally start with Skechup since its free (lynda has a great tute if you want to actually learn it quickly)

However if you prefer old school software rhino is your best bet (it has a command line!)

GL OP

If can afford the Ultimate version of Building Suite you can assemble the roads/intersections/existing structures etc in Infraworks, and new buildings/structures in Revit/Inventor, then render/animate in Max.

Inventor got some new features in 2015, that are great for free form curved shapes, and the 2D sketching is less rigid.

This also gives you many export/exchange formats if needed, and if you need to document details later the tools are there, and data in the models.

I made a series of conceptual buildings once, but was never supposed to do any details or coordinated CD´s, but then suddenly I was asked.

Since not curvy I had done everything in Revit, so I managed to finish them all on time with some goodwill from clients.

Later part of the video takes a look at the freeform tools, but first part is useful too, since sketching with constraints can be stressful to put it mildly:)