Why aren't my Render elements showing my HDRI sky background?

philvanderloo

Trying to composite my render elements in photoshop and wondering why my HDRI sky only shows up in the RGB layer. All other render element layers have a black sky. I've attached my render elements dialog and VRay frame buffer settings. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Should have mentioned I'm saving as an openEXR

Thank You

Render_Elements.JPG

Frame_Buffer.JPG

Edited by philvanderloo

This may be a silly question, but where else do you expect it to show up? The sample rate is pretty obvious is not gonna show it. All the other elements you have added show how light affects geometry in your scene in different ways, thus they will not show the HDRI sky, as the sky is not an object/geometry. However, your camera catches the light sent from the hdr, thus capturing it in the RGB layer. My guess is that you are using a vray dome light with the HDRI sky? If you want a separate layer with the sky you should instead put your HDRI sky in the max environment slot, and add a render element for the background. But keep in mind that you should not double up, as in having both your environment and a dome light with the HDRI map at the same time.