Lighting influence on rendering bitmaps

charlieinolas

Hi,

Is there any way so that lights (vray) in the scene won't affect the bitmap look after the render is done ? So no matter of the amount of light it would look like it was open in photoshop, with its normal colors and brightness?

I found diffuse pass under 'render elements' but I'd have to tweak in photoshop later on, and I want to avoid that.

Possible?

thanks

Edited by charlieinolas

I do not understand your problem, do you mean that the render in the frame buffer shows different brightness than when you open it in Photoshop? or your renders are blown out and you want to bring in all the colors and the brightness in Photoshop?

Or is it that your render elements are getting affected by the lighting in the scene?

Ok, the example below.

The girl is a texture (photograph) and I want to retain its original brightness and colors when the render is done. I need to make the background in Max and adjust fake lights and shadows so in the end the whole picture would look like a one photograph.

But at the same time those lights must not affect the object with a girl - this bitmap is ready made photograph and cannot be changed.

In the picture below the girl is brighter than in the orignal photograph and colors are washed out a bit.

If I adjust any light in the scene, the look of the bitmap changes. I don't want that.

Hope I'm more clear now.

example.jpg

Edited by charlieinolas

Its simple keep the girl in 3d for shadows only make her invisible to camera when rendering and then composite in Photoshop, by placing the girl on the render and you are done...

But if you want it to render with the proper colors from 3d itself then you must make sure the girl sprite has an emissive material and has recieve shadows to off.

Also check if the texture of the girl you are rendering is of the output Gamma setting, bcos otherwise it will get gamma corrected. like for example is your render is set to gamma 2.2 and your import image is 1.0 then when rendering it will auto gamma correct the texture to 2.2 thus changing the brightness and colors.

Phillip I tried, but still, colors are different, more washed out.

Siddarth, yes, I want to avoid doing it in photoshop.

And yes, the scene is gamma 2.2. Bitmap is imported with 2.2 either.

What do You mean by emmisive material? Which one should I use then?

Edited by charlieinolas

For faking the light in the scene as per the model try to place a sphere in the place of the girl and get a three point lighting going as this is what the girl has, besides that the girl seems to be photoshoped in the original image that you have, to get more intense lighting for her top coat to pop out... so try to get the light positioning first and then play around with the colors of the light and the intensity in Photoshop using light passes.

That way you will save on render time and iterations.

If I use vraylightmt It renders with inverted colors..

(I had to put opacity map so rest of the plane that surrounds her is transparent)

But should I generally use Frame buffer?

Now I see that if I do, the render looks totally different. Also, when I changed color mapping setting to 'color and gamma', image looks differently with each settings. Which one should I use then? Should there be Expotential, or Linear?

I'm totally lost here.

2.jpg

Ok, here You go.

First one is using standard rendering window.

Second with frame buffer - it's much darker.

No matter which I use, inverted colors are still there and they vary - original look (diffuse pass) is different (more bluish) than those rendered ones.

model1.jpg

modelka2.jpg

Edited by charlieinolas

Ok, if I use frame buffer I need to change 'col mapping only (no gamma)' to 'color mapping and gamma'. Then both final renders look the same. So let's leave this for now.

Color and brighness problem is more important.

Vraylightmtl doesn't do the trick for now. Sthg is wrong.

Edited by charlieinolas