probablilistic lights...

Tommy L

Same here. They work in very specific instances such as a warehouse or gymnasium. Though in that type of set up, you can get away with large plane lights rather than 100's of individual lights which renders the need for probalistic lights obsolete.

However, for most smaller scenes that need light detail they fall flat (though to some extent that is an expected result). They also struggle mightily with IES lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Here as well. Seems to be a known issue. Then again, it is a new set up, so they may have to test it out more. IMO, it was a good idea, but really, if I want 100 lights to light, then I'll have 100 lights, and I don't need the program to choose that for me... Anyway, at the expense of noise, it is not a good feature right now.

I think it was even briefly after 3.0 launch advised against of their use, but that was resolved eventually. It was still unusable in most conditions. I generally tried to use it in large office plan where I needed to cut time for animation, but it both introduced stuck noise in certain areas, as well as providing incorrect (lowered intensity) illumination.

The type of tech-demo in which they showed in (large hall with uniform array of identical lights) is pretty...outside of what most people mostly do and as Scott said, you wouldn't even use such lighting there in first place.

So I found to be no-no feature as well. Too bad, as it does cut away time a lot.