Surely - Carona cant be this simple?

simonm

Hi all

I wrote a thread earlier yesterday about the release of Corona and my hesitation to jump into it due to work commitments/deadlines as Im currently a Vray user. . . Anyway, much to the displeasing of my wife, I had a play with it today.... actually, im still having a bit of a play (its only been a very short while). So im using an existing scene (bathroom) and installed the new Corona... i ran the Corona material conversion script and pressed render. I didnt do anything else apart from adjust the highlight compress, white balance and contrast which I might add you can do while its rendering... GOLD...

This is the result so far 10 or so minutes in - surely this cant be it? Theres more to it? What secret hidden thing am i missing or is this how it is?

Couple of quick questions arise which Ill find out (if you dont spill the beans to me yourself)....

1 - Fog colour? As in the fog colour you have in vray - does it have this feature?

2 - Pause/resume rendering - I saw somewhere you can do this I think?

3 - Region rendering - does it have the region rendering feature like Vray?

4 - History and save to Frame buffer option?

5 - Quality settings... is it a matter of leaving the default settings and pressing render? Or do you need to tweak settings to get more out of the quality?

Anway, either way, whichever way - im super impressed and this is a render ive achieved after installing, coverting the materials from vray to corona and simply pressing render.... 15 mins.

corona.JPG

Edited by simonm

That is pretty impressive.

But basically this is what V-ray Universal settings does. I have 3 presets for varying quality vs. time.

I just choose one and hit render. The only advantage would be if Corona can produce the same quality faster.

Then there is also the issue of vray being the solid industry standard now:

There would be issues with:

- sharing files with clients

- sharing files with outsourced help

- most tutorials are done in V-ray

Kind of like the Qwerty keyboard dilemma.

Edited by heni30

Yes its that simple, the big difference with corona is that you dont need to muck about with render settings, rather muck about with the materials, getting more detail out of them. You can get really nice soft reflections and not worry about samples.

You can play with some of the render settings to balance render time to quality, although the defaults are good for most scenes.

AS for sharing scenes with clients/outsource etc it all depends on your normal workflow. As Corona makes gets a larger user base the less of an issue that will be.

Thanks for the response guys. I really am amazed at the quality of it and I am considering doing my next project on it which ill post here for the results

George, I'd love to hear about the 3 presets you have for Vray 3 - im yet to figure out a sweet spot for low, medium high and would love to hear about it...

1 - Fog colour? As in the fog colour you have in vray - does it have this feature?

What does fog color do in vray?

2 - Pause/resume rendering - I saw somewhere you can do this I think?
Yes, it's right there, in the main settings tab.

3 - Region rendering - does it have the region rendering feature like Vray?
It has region render but it's currently not implemented in coronas VFB, you have to set it up in main render settings, or open Max VFB and set it there.

4 - History and save to Frame buffer option?
Nope.

5 - Quality settings... is it a matter of leaving the default settings and pressing render?
Yes :)

George, I'd love to hear about the 3 presets you have for Vray 3 - im yet to figure out a sweet spot for low, medium high and would love to hear about it...

This is what I've come up with through trial and error. My jobs are usually simple medium size interiors and are not very demanding as far as quality goes. I'm shooting for an hour or less on a i7 4790.

Low Quality for quick viewing:

Image sampler - Adaptive - min. shading rate > 8

Adaptive image sampler - (min 1) (max 30)(uncheck DMC sampler thresh)(color thresh > .03)

GI - Irradiance Map and LC

Irr Map - (Low) (Subdiv > 10)(Interp > 10)

LC - (Subdiv > 200)(Sample size > .05)

Higher Quality:

Adaptive image sampler - (min 1) (max 100)(uncheck DMC sampler thresh)(color thresh > .005)

Irr Map - (Med) (Subdiv > 50)(Interp > 20)

LC - (Subdiv > 1500)(Sample size > .005)

And Higher Quality 2:

Adaptive image sampler - (min 1) (max 100)(uncheck DMC sampler thresh)(color thresh > .003)

Irr Map - (High) (Subdiv > 50)(Interp > 20)

LC - (Subdiv > 2000)(Sample size > .003)

ALL other settings - lights, reflections, etc. - are left on default value of 8.

Chaos recommends Brute Force for primary bounce but even though it's faster in V3, Irr Map is faster and as I said, for me time is of the essence. Using Brute you would control noise vs. time with the color threshold value.

Any comments on any of these settings would be welcome as they were arrived at through simple trial and error and not based on any in-depth technical reasoning.

Edited by heni30

Thanks heaps George - ill try out and i really do need to dedicate a week for learning settings along... time is of the essence as you said and i still cant seem to understand it the way others do.... should see a doctor about that :p

Much appreciated

This is what I've come up with through trial and error. My jobs are usually simple medium size interiors and are not very demanding as far as quality goes. I'm shooting for an hour or less on a i7 4790.

Low Quality for quick viewing:

Adaptive image sampler - (min 1) (max 30)(uncheck DMC sampler thresh)(color thresh > .03)

Irr Map - (Low) (Subdiv > 10)(Interp > 10)

LC - (Subdiv > 200)(Sample size > .05)

Higher Quality:

Adaptive image sampler - (min 1) (max 100)(uncheck DMC sampler thresh)(color thresh > .005)

Irr Map - (Med) (Subdiv > 50)(Interp > 20)

LC - (Subdiv > 1500)(Sample size > .005)

And Higher Quality 2:

Adaptive image sampler - (min 1) (max 100)(uncheck DMC sampler thresh)(color thresh > .003)

Irr Map - (High) (Subdiv > 50)(Interp > 20)

LC - (Subdiv > 2000)(Sample size > .003)

ALL other settings - lights, reflections, etc. - are left on default value of 8.

Chaos recommends Brute Force for primary bounce but even though it's faster in V3, Irr Map is faster and as I said, for me time is of the essence. Using Brute you would control noise vs. time with the color threshold value.

Any comments on any of these settings would be welcome as they were arrived at through simple trial and error and not based on any in-depth technical reasoning.