Pinch in geometry

hoseinasadi

I was gonna model a knife handle so I blocked the initial shape using line tool and then converted to poly, applied shell modifier and on top of that turbo smooth. I noticed pinches on some areas of which I dont know what may be causing them. Any ideas guys?

pinch.jpg

With a shape this simple you should try drawing a line (in the shape of your knife handle) then extruding it by adding "extrude" modifier in the object's modify tab. Convert it to an "edit poly". Use "quad chamfer" on the outside edges. Chamfering may be enough to smooth this object without resorting to use of the turbosmooth modifier. You can decide that by taking into account the final shape of the object weighed against it's poly count.

The shell modifier probably isn't best suited for this particular object, and TurboSmooth is likely causing the pinch on that inside corner.

After that's done, watch Grant Warwick's Hard Surface Modeling video to get a better understanding of sub-division modeling.

With a shape this simple you should try drawing a line (in the shape of your knife handle) then extruding it by adding "extrude" modifier in the object's modify tab. Convert it to an "edit poly". Use "quad chamfer" on the outside edges. Chamfering may be enough to smooth this object without resorting to use of the turbosmooth modifier. You can decide that by taking into account the final shape of the object weighed against it's poly count.

The shell modifier probably isn't best suited for this particular object, and TurboSmooth is likely causing the pinch on that inside corner.

After that's done, watch Grant Warwick's Hard Surface Modeling video to get a better understanding of sub-division modeling.

Thanks for the tip. tho, what should I do to avoid those pinches after applying turbo smooth modifier?

I like Jay's tip for working with such types of things. To answer you question I would say clean up the mesh, try to get all four sided polygons usually helps with the Turbosmooth. Right now there seems to be a 9 sided polygon on the top of the mesh. 3dsmax calculates triangles even if it doesn't show it so basically you can imagine 5 invisible edges connecting to one vertex. Now when you Turbosmooth this, 3dsmax subdivides these triangles, as the triangles have one common vertex you get a pinching sort of effect.