Photomontage with iPhone Photo

Bwana Kahawa

Hi,

I'm having real trouble aligning a model with a site photo from an iPhone 6.

The way I've always aligned cameras may not be the best, but seems to have worked for me for a good few years:

1) Open the photo in Photoshop and extract the original camera make, image size and focal length (in mm)

2) Look up the camera's sensor size in mm online

3) Plug the sensor width and height and the image focal length into an old little Mac app called FOV Calculator.

4) This gives me a field of view equivalent to 35mm film

5) Plug the FOV in degrees into my virtual camera, match the image aspect ratio, and then line the model up with the underlayed photo.

However, I've tried this process for 2 photos taken on an iPhone 6, and the FOV calc seems to be around 20 degrees out on both. I've double checked my process several times for both photos, but still massively incorrect. I've no idea where the error is, so if anyone could shed any light, it'd be much appreciated!

Or is there a much better / foolproof method that I could use instead?

Thanks,

Derek

Thanks Tom. Any idea why it's doing it? It's almost like I can't trust the metadata in an iPhone JPG.

I'm aligning it in ArchiCAD rather than Max - even less accurate than Max, I suspect...

Anyone else have any tips? When we're doing stuff for conversations with planning authorities, it'd be nice to be vaguely confident of our building size in the image!

Thanks guys, but again, we're using ArchiCAD, not 3DS Max. I would've assumed the maths to calculate the FOV would be the same, regardless of the intended rendering software.

Zdravko, I'll check out that Youtube link.

Anyone aware of any online calculators / translators?

In 3DS i usually just use vray camera.. look up the sensor size and lens size to get my 35mm equivalent.. google tells me iPhone 6 is 29mm.

Punch 29mm into Vray camera, position in scene basically where person was standing, and fine tune from there.. making sure rendering output is same aspecta/resolution as original photo. Never had a problem yet.

As long as the photographer hasn't used a silly mode like panorama or whatever