some vrml-examples

oluv

i wanted to demonstrate some simple models i made for testing interactive presentation.

they are nothing special and as my programming and scripting skills are more than limited, also the interactive vrml-part is mainly reduced to simple walk-through, pre-defined viewpoints and model/texture-switching.

blaxxun contact vrml plug-in is required to view the examples as blaxxun's own multitexture-extensions are used in all models. if the active-x plug doesn't install automatically you can download the manual installation-file from here: http://www.blaxxun.com/download/contact/contact5/blaxxunContact51.exe

http://homepage.boku.ac.at/h9526506/pfaffenberg/tempel2.html

this one is a virtual reconstrucion of 2 roman temples situated near vienna after plans of H. Thür. i built 2 of the 3 temples already some time ago and in this presentation you can switch between both of them. unfortunately the project ended before it even started, so this model was only finished for personal exercise.

http://homepage.boku.ac.at/h9526506/kinder.html

this one is a simple walk-through of a forest-kindergarden. it was a project designed by a friend of mine who asked me for some renderings, but i preferred making directly an interactive model instead. the model is quite reduced without special tweaking or optimization, i only took his original model, textured and lighted it, so there are several meshing errors and the round walls are not smooth at all as well. the floor-reflections are simple mirrored-geometry.

http://homepage.boku.ac.at/h9526506/mysinge.html

this was made for fun yesterday, as i tired making an interactive product visualisation. it is an ikea-sofa i also own personally (i have it in blue) and you can switch between the available colors. maybe i will send it to ikea to see their comment ;-)

all my own models were done in rhino and exported into 3ds max where they were mapped and rendered and exported to vrml. all the vrml multitexturing-work was done manually afterwards.

i hope you like these simple examples. i am a total newbie to 3ds max and these are my first interactive tests i am quite satisfied with but still have to learn lots of stuff, so more to come...

for future visualisations i want to get deeper into quest3d, as it seems to be the most flexible vr-solution out there.

best regards to all VR-junkies ;-)

olaf

Wow, some excellent VR example there :)

I didn't know Blaxxun (or maybe I do know, just forgotten about it since they are defunct now) support lightmaps, that really make that sofa look stand out.

The Kinder example is excellent as well, maybe if you can implement some on screen navigation like what you have done with Sofa.

So how did you do the "multi-texturing" (lightmapping) stuff ?? What renderer did you use for the lightmap?? I am guessing you render out the lightmaps, and have to manually added those lightmap to the VRML tag using notepad...?

(PS.. that human model doesn't look like a poser model.... where did you get it from?)

hey richard!

glad you like the examples!

blaxxun contact is an older version, but still one of the greatest vrml-viewers. the new version ist now called bitmanagement contact, with even more features, dx9 support, bump-mapping and such, and even anaglyphs rendering, but there is a floating logo around which is not so great!

indeed i wanted to put some navigation into the kindergarden and switch the viewpoints between each room, but i don't know how to avoid smooth camera-movement. otherwise it floats through walls with every viewpoint change, this looks a bit weird. there is a way to turn off smooth viewpoint animation with scripts, but i have no clue how to do so.

the workflow to get perfect lightmapping is a bit complicated. i already made a small tutorial for a friend in german, maybe i should translate it in english and put is somewhere, but where?

i do the lightmapping in 3ds max. so i have to export 2 vrml-models to get 2 different uv-coords. one model is for the normal "textures" and the other only for lightmaps.

now it is normally easy to replace texture nodes with multitexture and copy/paste the texturecoords from one to the other. but there is still a problem, as max exports both models with different coord-index, that means that the coords are the same but in a different order, so you must find a way how to order the indices of both files in the same way. this is quite a pain in the a... i don't know why this couldn't be fixed. maybe with another vrml-exporter it works but i didn't try any.

as i remember the human-model was taken from archicad. i don't use this program, but we had to do a project at university with it. i liked some of the library objects there and exported them as 3ds ;)

I think this is a great example that shows why realtime/interactive tools will be the future for the whole business even though people still are resisting the whole idea. It shows so much more than a single render and it gave a really good idea of the architecture of the whole thing.

I must also say that this is the best VRML plug in I have seen, I have seen many others but the other ones where pretty slow or lacked good visuals just to maintain the same quality between the hardware rasterizer (in D3D or OpenGL) and the software rasterizer.

the problem of bs-contact is that you need to spend 300 euro only for viewing your content without a floating bs-logo around.

anyone else who wants to see it without the disturbing logo also needs a licence, and this sucks i think! otherwise it is a great player indeed!

• 3 weeks later...