snurre

Hi all!

I've been browsing around for the last few days, trying to find an answer to this, with no luck. I'm a noob, this will be my first post on cgarchitect.

When I render my scene with material override things are looking good, but when adding my own Standard Material, light leaks are appearing. So I guess something is wrong with the material settings? (I've been trying to bump up the Irradiance map min. rate. with no success.)

Also, can anyone explain what is the difference between a "Vray material" and a "Standard material"? Why is there no place for a bump map when making a "Vray material"

I am using Vray with Rhino.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

light leak.jpg

settings.jpg

Try unticking the "Store direct light" option in the light cache for a start. If that does not fix it - Increase the subdivs in the LC and reduce the sample size. Also tick the "check sample visibility" in the IR. Before all of this check that the geometry does not have any actual gaps that lets light in. ....This has all been said before I know

Tried unticking "store direct light" in the light cache, increased the subdivs in the LC to 1500, and reduced the sample size to 0.1. Also ticked the "check sample visibility" in the IR. Still, the bleed/leak remains. The geometry has a thickness, and is walls/ceiling are overlapping.

Tried using Brute Force as secondary engine, which seems to clean it up quite a bit.

It's just very annoying not finding the cause of it all...

tests.jpg

So as a final effort i bumped up irradiance map to 2, -2

The leak is quite gone, but I'm left with longer render times, and a more grainy image.

If anyone has thoughts on how to tweak this, I'm happy to hear.

In the mean time, I will go through a comprehensive tutorial on vray, as it is clear I need a deeper understanding of how the parameters interact.

test.jpg

Those light problems occur for two main reason, geometry or GI values. Sometimes materials may create them, like when you are using a very aggressive bump or displacement.

If geometry is fine you need to see how you can optimize your GI, for instance, using sky portals in those windows will really help the sun or dome light get inside those rooms. Also there is a check box in V Ray materials when you are doing glass materials that help the light go through as it was a single panel, ( affect shadows).

within Irr you can increase the number of samples and reduce the Nrm Thresh this usually help in tight corners, default is 3 or 4, using 2 will help. also Irr -3/0 should work most of the time, you need to increase your LC from 800 to 1800 or 2000, I also noticed you have 0 on number of passes, it is recommended to use the same number of cores to speed up the calc of LC.

I would ask you to share the model to see if there is other problems but I am a Max user.

V Ray basics are the same in all versions thou.

The extra noise that you see, may be few samples in your materials or your DMC sampler is too height V/s Light materials samples.

Thanks so much Francisco! A lot of good pointers there, I understand most of what you are saying.

May I ask what you mean by "you have 0 on number of passes, it is recommended to use the same number of cores to speed up the calc of LC."

from V Ray help

"Number of passes - the light cache is computed in several passes, which are then combined into the final light cache. Each pass is rendered in a separate thread independently of the other passes. This ensures that the light cache is consistent across computers with different number of CPUs. In general, a light cache computed with smaller number of passes may be less noisy than a light cache computed with more passes, for the same number of samples; however small number of passes cannot be distributed effectively across several threads. For single-processor non-hyperthreading machines, the number of passes can be set to 1 for best results."

http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/150SP1/render_params_lightmap.htm

So if you have a single quad core i7, your number should be 4, if is is Hyperthreaded, that number should be 8 and so on. Not strictly necessary but it help ;)

Tried unticking "store direct light" in the light cache, increased the subdivs in the LC to 1500, and reduced the sample size to 0.1. Also ticked the "check sample visibility" in the IR. Still, the bleed/leak remains. The geometry has a thickness, and is walls/ceiling are overlapping.

Tried using Brute Force as secondary engine, which seems to clean it up quite a bit.

It's just very annoying not finding the cause of it all...

Hey again

Did you mean a LC sample size of 0.1? It should be 0.01