UVW mapping problem

Devin Johnston

I'm working on a project that was exported from Revit as a .fbx and when I put a UVW map onto the model it's way bigger than it should be. What I mean is if I map a 15'x15'x15' cube the gizmo looks like it's 150' square or 10 times bigger. I've checked the size of the model and it's correct and my units are set up properly so I'm at a loss. Does anyone know what's going on, I suspect it has something to do with the Revit model but I know nothing about that program.

What if you reset the xforms on the objects? The FBX file may have had other units of measurement applied to it and re-scaled back to your system units when imported.

Revit natively works in feet in case you are wondering.

I haven't used any xform modifiers, what do you mean Scott?

I haven't used any xform modifiers, what do you mean Scott?

Nevertheless, you still need to reset an object's "xform" sometimes, as the invisible metadata attached to the object can become inaccurate if the object has been through many transformations or has simply become confused by conversion from one program to another.

In the utilities tab, about seven buttons down, you will find the Reset XForm button. Select this option and then press Reset Selected.

This may not be the source of your current problem, but is worth knowing. Try it.

• 2 weeks later...

i have to do this for everything i import from our architects. i reset xform and the collapse to edit mesh. they use 1 unit = 1 ft and i use inches. i select all and unlink, delete some helpers that come in too. cant recall what order i do this in right now.

if you select an imported object and click on your scale tool it'll show something other than 100. for me it shows 1200. thats when i know i have to reset xform.