which modelling/ rendering package should i invest in?

garyarnold

I am an architect who wants to develop my portfolio with some nice renderings. I am not sure which software to get. I use a PC and AutoCAD. I used 3d studio many years ago at uni but its so expensive. I know there are lots of different options but my problem is that having not used any of them I don't know where to start and in don't have alot of time to investigate each and every one of them. Google sketch up is quite cheap but as far as i know its rendering is limited. I want to produce some photographic 'realistic' resolution Images. Would appreciate some firm guidance. Thanks.

Hi Gary,

There are a couple of key issues that spring up in your post:

1) You mention a lack of time,

2) you mention the expense of software.

Don't get me wrong, far be it from me to say you can't achieve what you want, but this does sound a little naive. To explain:

1) Architectural Visualisers that produce good work, typically spend an awful lot of time developing there skills.

2) The price of industry standard software would be considered a significant and necessary investment for anyone taking their work seriously.

However to answer your question more specifically, (there will be a range of opinions from the community) you should certainly consider the obvious contenders; being: 3ds Max, V-Ray, Photoshop. This is probably the most common set of tools. Having said that, there are many advocates for alternative solutions, some of which may be cheaper and similar in capability.

You likely require a 3D Solution, a Renderer, and a tool for Post-Production, and there are many of these on the market, such as:

Blender

Modo

Cinema4D

Maya, etc.

V-Ray

Corona

Mental Ray

Octane, etc.

Photoshop,

After Effects,

Gimp,

Aperture, etc.

I've only used a few myself, because I am pretty content with 3ds Max, V-Ray, and Photoshop. But, this is because I have invested time in familiarising myself with these tools. People will tell you it doesn't matter so much about the tools as long as you have the creativity. but of course if many others are using a program then you have a larger pool of people to get technical advice, tips and help from.

I hope this helps :)

Edited by TomasEsperanza

With Max going pay-as-you-go, it is not as expensive as it used to be for single license users. Ditto on purchasing Photoshop CC with a monthly fee that is very low. Combine that with Corona which is quickly gaining ground as the go to rendering engine for single license users, you can get up and running for well under $2k a year. That's a small cost compared to what it was getting started even just a few years ago. The nice thing is all 3 software's have a monthly subscription option. Meaning if you find yourself not investing as much time as you would like and don't see yourself using the software anymore you can cancel and stop paying on it(as long as the fine print says so). Then when you feel the itch to start again, you can pick that subscription back up.

The bottom line is that this isn't a very cheap hobby in both terms of invested money and time.

Thanks for your reply. What I meant by saying I have a lack of time is that I want the experienced experts to advise me what will achieve the result at the least cost. I definitely cannot afford the £3100 3d studio license as I only want to learn it for now and won't be making any money from then usage. And I am not a student and the trial version isn't long enough to learn enough. A graph showing the performance along with the cost of the individual software products would be very helpful. I have time to spend learning the software and seeking help when needed. I am seeking help right now at the very beginning so as not to waste time going down the wrong path. Thanks form listing all those rendering packages. Can you describe their pro's and con's with a guide to cost. The problem is most people are biased to the problem they use. I need some unbiased impartial advice.

Speaking to an architect, I would suggest SketchUp and Podium to start with. You can get very nice results and not make a $6K invest only to realize you can't get anything done without 5000 hours of training.

When you feel more comfortable, then move on to V-Ray for SketchUp.

If you begin to love this and want to play with the biggest and baddest, then looking to Max + V-Ray as this is the industry standard.

You could do it all free using Blender + Cycles rendering engine, and GIMP (or Affinity if you have a mac).

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

http://www.gimp.org/

http://www.blender.org/

Obviously these aren't industry standard, so if you were looking for employment in the field I highly doubt you'll find anybody asking for these skills; however they are all extremely capable, and will certainly give you an insight into the world of 3D.

Thanks all. I will check the software out and see what works best for me. Advice much appreciated as I had never heard of most of these programs.

My choice won't be dictated by 'ability to get employment' as this is not my ambition.

If I can do the business then I will do it for myself. An the exclusivity appeals to me.