What is the problem you solve for your customers?

Eezo

So what I mean by that is what exactly do you do for your clients that makes them buy your service? I don't mean something like, "oh they buy my images because they are the best", more why do they need your service in the first place? What problem do you solve?

Honestly I get projects because my images are nice - I think you are looking way too much into it, all clients I have ever met only care about three things: 1) if the final image is correct (in terms of design/architecture); 2) if the final image looks good or bad and 3) money and how easy or difficult you are to deal with. I mean we are creating images and as much as we would like to think so a pretty image is all your client need.

"What problems do you solve?" sounds like it's from some kind of a 'how to create a successful business in 3 days' book rather than any real world experience. in the past I have managed to land a few big clients just because I kept a bottle of whisky in my office, so there you go.

Good image sells. Ideas and concepts to public and jury, or real estate to customers of your clients. Anything.

Even when they're not necessary in order for that, it can rise the prestige of given project, which can translate to better chances of the project to succeed or generate better profit margins.

Unless you're a full branding agency (like D-Box) it's futile to even ponder upon this. Clients already know why they need you, otherwise they wouldn't allocate the budget for it. So for us it's really whether our images look/work/etc.. "the best" for them.

(..to echo Martin's post, it does sound like you're doing research from some "motivational" literature )

I believe our clients look to us for our ability to fill in the gaps between what they believe they want and what will best tell their story. Obviously compelling images go a long way in proving our worth, but a proven track record of servicing clients effectively in a multitude of outlets is an easier sell.

Clients are aware of the power of a render, but often ask for everything to be included in a single image. While this is likely for financial reasons, coaching them on the most effective solutions for their budget is often a better route in solving the more general "problem". An architect or developer may design or build 50-100 buildings in their lifetime, but an artist has likely rendered that in a year. As artists our opinion and expertise matters and what may best align your business with your clients needs is the ability to guide your client to the best result in terms of marketing without being overly selfish or subservient.

I should be clear here, I am an employee, not an owner, but I have been around long enough to see clients come back to us again and again for these reasons and others. I may be overly bought into the company motto, but hey, I've seen its success and am a believer.

Juraj is right., larger firms especially can gain business by creating a larger package of branding and interactive along with renderings/illustrations, but at any level quality, compassion, and expertise of the industry is going to win you business.

There is no stellar rise to the top. You need to build your business brick by brick in m opinion.

OK none of this is quite what I'm getting it, I've probably not asked this in the best way. I'll try again.

If your client suddenly found themselves without your images how would it effect their business, what implications would it have for them?

I appreciate these are odd questions but it's part of a little experiment I'm running, I know it sounds like it's out of some god awful sales manual but indulge me if you can.

If your client suddenly found themselves without your images how would it effect their business, what implications would it have for them?

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

The honest brutal answer is, not a thing. They would simply go somewhere else and get a rendering done. If a local pizza shop closes down, do you crap yourself and never eat pizza again? No! You instantly move on and go find someone else. Clients stay with us because they like our style and the business we do together. But if we were to suddenly stop, it wouldn't really affect them outside of anything in the immediate short-term. Sure, they might be a little sad to see us go but they'd immediately start looking for our replacement.

OK none of this is quite what I'm getting it, I've probably not asked this in the best way. I'll try again.

I appreciate these are odd questions but it's part of a little experiment I'm running, I know it sounds like it's out of some god awful sales manual but indulge me if you can.

IF I was the only supplier for images and they could not go somewhere else, then the implications could be -

- Loss of sales of new apartments (people like to see what they are buying)

- Not getting the new development or renovation passed council approval process

- Not winning the competition

If your client doesn't want your images, or any images at all, then I wish them good luck to try to sell something. Try to sell someone a 1 000 000$ house without being able to show em what it's going to look like. Not many people can look at a autocad plan and get an image of a building heh! Same thing for products. If it wasn't from publicity (images, videos, hype..etc) we would not even own 95% of the stuff we own!

Maybe, but I don't have any experience with that, if you work for an arch firm, you could contribute in some way to the design and solve some problems there but I think it's really not common.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, we are now approaching a new area of visualization in which just a nice photoreal image is not enough to sell the property, especially luxury real estate, the clients demand more all the time!

And on the other hand, there are still places in the world that do just fine with a hand sketched illustration or a sketchup screenshot to sell a house.

I always equate 3d renderings to a toothbrush, what problem does a toothbrush solve to clients? Cleaner teeth, better quality teeth, more smile and better quality of life. Can toothbrush be replaced? No, I don't think so.

Renderings are now part of our way of life just like a toothbrush is, and just like toothbrush types (cheap vs panasonic ultrasonic) there is a difference between rendering quality.

Edited by artmaknev

To be honest, we are now approaching a new area of visualization in which just a nice photoreal image is not enough to sell the property, especially luxury real estate, the clients demand more all the time!

And on the other hand, there are still places in the world that do just fine with a hand sketched illustration or a sketchup screenshot to sell a house.

I always equate 3d renderings to a toothbrush, what problem does a toothbrush solve to clients? Cleaner teeth, better quality teeth, more smile and better quality of life. Can toothbrush be replaced? No, I don't think so.

Renderings are now part of our way of life just like a toothbrush is, and just like toothbrush types (cheap vs panasonic ultrasonic) there is a difference between rendering quality.

Then I want to produce panasonic ultrasonic toothbrushes haha!