Rendering is very slow on external windows

liorsturlesi

+1 What Scott said. It can be a couple of different things.

1st Guess would be something to do with your refraction. Either you have your refraction gloss less than 1.0, or maybe affect shadows are unticked in which case the light won't properly go through the glass in you may even see splotches inside.

Post your settings so we can give a more informed answer

Oh ok you're looking out where I thought maybe you were looking in. What are you using to light the exterior?

The AA is more than likely having a hard time to work through the high contrast between light and dark pixels on the outside. The sky might be very bright and then suddenly you have a leave or whatever that is darker.

Couple if things you can do here, adjust your AA for example

If you don't care much about a 100% correct LWF then you can use reinhard and set your burn on 0.05 and leave the mode on "None (don't apply anyting)"

Hi Lior S,

You have a lot of foliage in your exterior and my guess it is the AA sampling of this+the refraction of the windows that is giving you access render times.

Vlado (Vray) recently added a subdivs mulitlplier as an addition to the already GI subdivs mulitlplier to get around this with the latest update

of VRay 3.1

Global-subs-Vlado_zps7vfz3e6i.jpg

You simply select the trees and reduces the subdivs amount. you notice very little to no difference in output but render times are reduced dramatically..play with it until you find the right balance.

My guess is that you working from Vray 2.0 ? A hack around this is to create two sets of lights. One with the higher sub-divs and one with a low sub divs..go as low as one for a base test and then exclude the tress from the lights with the higher sub divs and render the tress with the lower set using the include function remembering to exclude everything else. It sounds like a lot of work is easily set up.

Also in your render elements select sample rate and you should see that your windows at the minute are all red, which means your AA is having to do a lot of work = long render times... as your playing with the settings in the suggestion above you should see the color become less hot and more blues and greens should be the dominent color. Lets us know how it goes

Hi Lior S,

You have a lot of foliage in your exterior and my guess it is the AA sampling of this+the refraction of the windows that is giving you access render times.

Vlado (Vray) recently added a subdivs mulitlplier as an addition to the already GI subdivs mulitlplier to get around this with the latest update

of VRay 3.1

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b539/PeteMac1980/Global-subs-Vlado_zps7vfz3e6i.jpg

You simply select the trees and reduces the subdivs amount. you notice very little to no difference in output but render times are reduced dramatically..play

with it until you find the right balance.

My guess is that you working from Vray 2.0 ? A hack around this is to create two sets of lights. One with the higher sub-divs and one with a low sub divs..go

as low as one for a base test and then exclude the tress from the higher lights with the higher sub divs and render with the lower set. It sounds like a lot

of work is easily set up.

Also in your render elements select sample rate and you should see that your windows at the minute are all red, which means your AA is having to do a lot of

work = long render times... as your playing with the settings in the suggestion above you should see the color become less hot and more blues and greens

should be the dominent color. Lets us know how it goes

Hi Lior S,

Vlado (Vray) recently added a subdivision multiplier as an addition to the already implemented GI subdivision multiplier to get around this with the latest update of VRay 3.0.

You simply select the trees and reduces the subdivision amount. You notice very little to no difference in output but render times are reduced dramatically.Play with it until you find the right balance.

My guess is that you working from Vray 2.0 ? A hack around this is to create two sets of lights. One with higher subdivision that your currently using for final renders and one with low subdivision..go as low as one for a base test and then exclude the tress from the lights with the higher subdivision and render with the lower set, and vice versa for the low subdivision lights, exclude everything but the tress. It sounds like a lot of work but is easily set up.

Also in your render elements select sample rate and you should see that your windows at the minute are all red, which means your AA is having to do a lot of work = long render times.

As your playing with the settings in the suggestion above you should see the color become less hot and more blues and greens should be the dominant color. Lets us know how it goes

Edited by murphz