little things that annoy you in images.

krishutchison

What are the things that are really no big deal but annoy the hell out of you when you see them in images?

A couple I can think of for me are:

1. stock people who have shadows that do not match the scene.

2. When the grass and footpath are exactly the same plane.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too scratched/dirty specular reflections.

I know everyone is after realism, and nothing is perfect in reality, but in 90perc. I see it being strongly overdone. It's specially repulsive when that treatment is given to wallpaint. OK, it looks more interesting, but it's unnecessary and distracting. Simple shaders are OK, no need to complicate what doesn't need to be complicated.

• 3 weeks later...

A pair of glittery red women's spiky evening high heels seductively tossed off to the side on the floor.

We are trying to tell stories but this one we can do without. (you can tell who's always at the computer and not getting out much)

Edited by heni30

A pair of glittery red women's spiky evening high heels seductively tossed off to the side on the floor.

We are trying to tell stories but this one we can do without. (you can tell who's always at the computer and not getting out much)

Totally agree! exploitation of women flesh is very common now a days and yeah its disgusting.

Overcooked bump. I'm reminded of a quote, the source I can't recall (I paraphrase) "Wind it back until it looks right, then wind it back another 50%" - this serves me well I think these days. The one that always gets me is asphalt roads, with too much reflection and bump. Looks like some weird, poorly poured concrete/plastic mess.

The other one is AO, especially in non-clay scenes and scenes with a lot of folded fabrics etc. Turing AO off, especially for interiors was one of the best moves I made for to get a bit of realism.

Note: I have been guilty of both of these, and this forum (and others) have taught me well.

I'm reminded of a quote, the source I can't recall

Bertrand Benoit :- ) A good rule to live by.

He sets it up to where he likes it though, than scales back by half. If you scale back twice, you end up with close to nothing ;- )

The other one is AO

Over 9000 times. Simple AO overlay in interior needs to die, the 90s want it back. Nothing is ever uglier, more CGI screaming than AO.

I usually hate 2d people and 3d people even more in renderings!!!

I actually find it hilarious that clients often want their scene populated with a totally unrealistic amount of people to show off the environment, while photographers often want NO people to show off the architecture. Lately, I've been using entourage very sparingly if at all.