Vray for Rhino White Blur around buildings

gholton

Hi, I typically use Vray for Rhino for very basic aerial renders (urban design) and often get this strange white glow around the buildings (I'm assuming because of the strong directional light). I've tried changing the materials for the plane and playing around with GI settings but no luck. I'm using a strong directional light and I want to keep long shadows -- when I make it softer the buildings become grey, but the white blur around the buildings still stays. Any thoughts? Thanks,

help.jpg

That looks like light reflecting off the vertical surfaces of the building back on to the ground plane.

There are a number of ways you could avoid this. I think the first to try would be the properties of the ground object. Set the properties so it only receives direct light - not global illumination.

Hi Aaron, Thanks for your reply. Apologies for the simple question, but how do I change the properties for the object to make it receive only direct light? Ive found a ChaosGroup posting that mentions th eObject Settings menu, but I can't find that menu.

I did find while clicking the object --> Properties --> Maxwell an option to "hide from GI" but that didn't help.

Thanks for your advice,

Hi,

As you have Maxwell Render also installed or this file was opened previously on a computer which owned Maxwell Render this tab shows up in the Properties window...

Anyways that is not the place you should be looking at. If you want to change it as per objects then,

Object --> Vray Properties --> Generate GI --> 0.4

If you want to make it a material thing then

Just apply VrayMtlWrapper material keeping the previous material inside it.

Just change the Generate GI --> 0.4

Anotherway to get rid of this is to activate Ambient Occlusion under GI settings in Render Settings. Adjust the Range as per required and keep samples to 8 or 10 should be good.