3DS Max 2016 available in subscription centre - yay :)

simonm

for those who have been waiting - its now available in the subscription centre... installing now and looking forward to taking it for a spin....

MCG looks promising.... hoping the the plugins (ie forest/railclone/vray) etc play nice with it

Anyone else having a play?

Edited by simonm

yep works flawlessly.... although i havent completely migrated from 2015 as yet. Will do so in between jobs.

it does have a few nice feature though.

How did you get on with the install and plugins (mainly vray and forest)?

Cheers

How is it going? Have you noticed any hiccups?

I'm astounded that there is already support for 3rd party plugins - it usually takes about 3 months. Any noticeable performance improvements? Huge changes? Improvements or steps backward?

I would warn everyone from jumping immediately onto Max 2016 this early. At least wait for the first servicepack. Some serious performance problem already was found with closed groups containing many objects ( in the thousands) which might apply to your archviz projects.

Just read more here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/max-2016-groups-cause-viewport-slowdown/m-p/5608415/highlight/true#M104323

For me - it has been a good update but I havent had a chance to explore some of the changes.

My typical workflow includes the use of the following PLUGINS:

Forest Pro (during install just change the 3DS default directory to 2016)

Railcone (during install just change the 3DS default directory to 2016)

Vray Material Presets Pro (I use this mostly for the material manager which is fantastic) - no native install for current 2016 version but support did instruct me which files to copy over from the 2015 3DS plugins folder to 2016

VIZPARK Walls n Tiles - no native install for current 2016 version but support did instruct me which files to copy over from the 2015 3DS plugins folder to 2016

Grow FX

All in all the plugins work perfectly. I have had at least 3 MAX crashes in a week but thats not unusual for MAX - it has always been temporomental.

In regards to your comments regarding groups. I consider a group with thousands of objects to be VERY VERY bad practice. In my experience 3DS plays more nicely when items are attached rather than grouped. Im very selective over which items are grouped and attached.

In regards to the viewport performance, I does feel much smoother for me. Im using a GTX 780 6GIG EVGA

I would warn everyone from jumping immediately onto Max 2016 this early. At least wait for the first servicepack. Some serious performance problem already was found with closed groups containing many objects ( in the thousands) which might apply to your archviz projects.

Just read more here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/max-2016-groups-cause-viewport-slowdown/m-p/5608415/highlight/true#M104323

Edited by simonm

There isnt, but when you install it - just re-direct the installation path to 3DS 2016 folder and it will install fine.

I don't even see a Vray 3.x build for Max 2016 available on Chaos Group's website - am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't even see a Vray 3.x build for Max 2016 available on Chaos Group's website - am I missing something?

You can request a Nightly access. V-Ray 3.2x supports 3Ds Max 2016.

I did not migrate yet. I am still under Max 2014.

• 3 weeks later...

I was all excited to get my 2016 suit. This is a Autocad, 3dsmaxdesign,Mudbox,Sketchbook designer suit when I bought it in 2013. It was a nice suit then. Last year they dropped Sketchbook designer. This year they have dropped Mudbox from it and are expecting me to pay the same subscription. This isn't cricket people. :(

Edited by Greg Law