Do you turn down work often?

I want to know, for those who have their own studios or are freelancing, if you happen to turn down work often?

Do you turn down work because you lack the time/skills?

Do you turn down work because the client's project sucks?

I'm looking for a professional and polite way to turn down work, or future work. I gues I can always say I don't have the time, i'm too busy, etc. Is it something that you guys do often?

I think 3d work can be very painful when you don't like what you are doing but can be so much fun when you work on projects that interests you.

Hi Phillipe,

We turned a job down yesterday and it was big!! Client was completely unreasonable in terms of a deadline and we don't do "suicide" jobs anymore. I have a wife and two kids and it is just not worth it! I also have a real problem doing this to my guys, in the long run they burn out and then no amount money will keep them. It has taken us years to find client that are in tune with our way of thinking and appreciate what we do and the amount time it takes for us to produce it. Not to say that we are not under pressure but atleast there is some kind of balance. In the past we have fired clients, literaly we would ask th rm to leave our office and do not come back!! Surprisingly it is really empowering!! In short we have earned respect but by being stright with a client and expect the same from them. hope that helps...

You also have to be careful because a boring client/job may lead to a referral for a good job - especially in our business where networking is everything. That's happened to me a couple of times. Also I kinda enjoy "boring" jobs because it's more of a challenge to make them look good.

One of the partners at Vyonyx was saying one thing they definitely ask for in resumes is a building in full mid-day sunlight. He said it's easy to do a sexy desat image but if you can make an apartment building in full sunlight look good then you really have talent.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm of the opinion there are very few bad jobs in 3D / CG work, but there are plenty of bad clients.

I'd rather work for a reasonable, educated, informed clients with a crap, tedious job, than some arsey client with a "portfolio worth" job.

There's plenty of excuses, or simply charge over the top to justify the potential pain you might get if you do accept the job.

• 2 months later...

Of course we try to accept most projects. But when it's really unreasonable or i have a bad feeling with the client, then it's better to not accept the project. I think that's the only way to have a succesful business.

But when you accept the project, then it's most important to finish it within the deadline!

I turn down work all the time. Partly because I cant find the staff to ramp up. I ensure I can I service my (wonderful) clients first and try to separate the wheat from the chaff when taking on new ones. A new client is a wild card and can prove disruptive. They also have a history, they may have had bad experiences in the past or worked with naive 3d vendors who said yes to everything then stumbled. If they are dropping a lot of money on a project they have every right to be demanding and mistrustful until the relationship has become reliably symbiotic. This is where good contracting and communication is paramount. Under-promise and over-deliver...vice-versa is uncomfortable for all.

• 2 months later...