Another dark bucket thread...

Ky Lane

Hi guys,

I tried searching for this issue - but didnt read many fixes - so here goes.

We have about 10 nodes here, and some of them (not all) render darker on the prepass - which results in dark areas in the final pass.

Im unsure whats going on - and open to suggestions.

Running Max2014 and Vray 3.10.02

stupidvray.jpg

Hey Ky

I've had this problem also, but not so much recently. The last time this happened I just re-started the DR machine and things seemed to be back to normal. I suspected that some machines were not receiving lighting info due to network issues. Just a half hour ago one of my colleagues was experiencing something similar. In his case he thought it was due to a plane light shining through a glass material that was using interpolated refraction. Perhaps in this case some machines were calculating the light differently.

There is a thread over on Chaos about this. Some people think it is due to some machines not using the correct gamma.

I had similar problems, I am using Max 2014 and V Ray 2.X tho.

I also think is gamma related, mostly from Max side. One of the work around was using VRay color for flat color surfaces and V Ray HDR image loader for all the textures. it is OK if they are not HDR the loader still work fine. Those work around fixed the issue, but I am not sure what's the real problem.

Be aware the VRay HDR loader make your scene load slower and over all slow performance.

I hope the new Max 2016 with VRay 3 solve this issue.

Weve spent a little time trying to get to the bottom of this - only thing we've found is a couple of the machines are running SP5 of Max2014... so Im in the process of updating them all (about 18 machines) to SP5 to see if that fixes things. Otherwise, Im at a complete loss.