Titan X clock in 3dsMax.

Hello to everyone !

I would very much appreciate any comments and advice that might ease my heart on the issue I would describe below:

I recently upgraded my build to a x99 platfrom running with a 5820k and Titan X in a Define R5 case packed with a couple of other Noctua fans. Everything runs fine and dandy with the Titan X sitting at 30-35 degrees C in idle, until I open 3dsMax 2015. As soon as I do so, the gpu clock jumps through the roof and so does the temperature, to about 60-65 degrees, with no gpu usage. This feels rather odd to me, as it does nothing. It just sits there with an empty scene and temperature rise from the 30s to 60s. I know this is because of the clock jump, but WHY does the clock jump? Previously I used a 560ti and 2600K also in 3dsMax 2015, but the temperatures where never above 35 even with complex scenes open...

So the noob question here is WHY does the Titan X have its clock jumped when I open 3dsMax? Is it from the Nvidia Driver? is if from 3dsMax settings?

AND, are 60-65 degrees safe to work with on a daily basis? (~10 hours per day in 3dsMax, plus the occasional renders left over a night or two)

As i said above, I would very much appreciate anything that might shed some light on the matter. Thank you all !

It is probably some driver issue that doesn't allow the GPU to "relax" under 3DS's viewport engine, and makes it think it is under full load all the time. The clock "jumps" because newer 6xx/7xx/9xx GPUs (that includes all Titans) dynamically throttle their clocks: lower when idling, full boost when under load.

Your card/its drivers think there is a constant need for "pedal to the metal" under 3DS 2015.

The 560Ti is a much older card that had the time to get such issues ironed out.

Try to roll back a driver version (or two) or wait for the next release.

Till then, just bare with the slightly higher noise, the GPU is perfectly fine @ 65oC for 24/7 (even higher than that).

I agree with Dimitris ...... If that does not work try a clean install of drivers... there are bit of software out there to help you remove everything however as i run AMD gpu's i dont have any recommendations....

to do a proper full uninstall you will need to.

1. uninstall drivers

2. run some software to remove all files left/registry files (or i do not recommend this) Manual go through your pc and delete all related files a google search will give you a list! GL

3. Check that the full uninstall was successful - one easy way to check this is to see if you pc just view your gpu as a Generic GPU if it still says its a titain X just uninstall the GPU drivers until its generic

3. re install and pray to the pc gods! :)

If your uncertain think there is a good guild on OCN.net

Thank you Dimitris and Kaiser for the answers and help. On Nvidias site I only see two driver fot the titan x (347.88 and 350.12) and I tried both multiple times with no luck. Also, while working on my projects I noticed the titan has similar behavior on other software also (idling with an open Photoshop file and the titan is also "pedal to the metal", same with other programs)... hm :)

I played with the fan curve a bit and I got some temperature and noise levels that I think I can live with. I just wanted to know if this was a software issue and if I can hope to see it resolved in some future driver updates. I'll probably try the back and forth with the current drivers when I get some extra time on my hands and keep you posted on any changes I might experience ! THANKS !

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very old issue going back years and it's caused by the Physx plugin. A quick fix is to go into your Nvidia Control Panel and under the Configure SLI, Surround, Physx settings, change the Physx setting to CPU.

Or if you would like to keep Physx to use GPU (if you game), you can go into your 3ds max/stdplugs folder and scroll down to the physx.dlm file, rename it to physx.bak and restart 3ds max. You will be unable to use MassFX though by forcing the Physix plugin 3dmax to be disabled this way.