Exporting RGB Channel without srgb space checked

jamesstutts

Hello,

I always seem to find the questions that are tough to find with a quick search and tutorial. I am trying to export my color channel from vray frame buffer without srgb checked but when i export it and open the file in photoshop it's very washed out as if i checked srgb in the frame buffer. Is there something I should change in photoshop to fix this or am i exporting the image the wrong way? I am saving all of my channels through the frame buffer. Thank you for your time.

Hi.

Checking 'sRGB' button has no impact on the actual rendering inside frame buffer, it's simple gamma 2.2 curve being applied on top of linear image for preview reasons. It's simply there for your convenience.

If your image is washed out, it means you saved it with incorrect gamma. You don't write which file format you save with, but I presume it's OpenExr because otherwise the whole linear setup doesn't make sense, which you need to save as 1.0. 3dsMax 2014/15/16 does it automatically for you.

Irregardless of workflow and render setup, every linear file formats (OpenExr, HDR,etc..) should be saved as 1.0, and every other (jpeg/png/tiff/etc..) as 2.2

Hi,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I was actually saving out as png. My coworker showed me the workaround. I just needed to adjust my gamma level in photoshop after importing it. Thanks again for your time! Sorry for not being more specific.

I just needed to adjust my gamma level in photoshop after importing it

This will only "salvage" your render, as applying gamma curve to clamped file format will necessarily lead to quality loss and shifted tones.

Make sure to use correct gamma settings next time.