Vray frame buffer scenes look normal but save out really exposed

tonypernazza

Hi guys

I just started using 3d max 2015 with vray and for some reason my vray frame buffer images look normal on the buffer itself but when i save them out they are really exposed. It can be fixed for now using curves in photoshop, but I was wondering if anyone might know whats going on? attached is a sample of the problem

test.jpg

The reason that it does that is that your gamma is not matching in your vray settings to the one that is setup by default on your max. You need to go into vray settings. Under "color mapping" you will see "gamma" that needs to be 2.2 That should sort it out.

Hey Arnold

Thanx for the feed back, but my color mapping is set to 2.2

I actually used a previous file I had been using with 3dmax 2013 and adopted the files settings because i cant find where the bitmap files input / output gamma is anymore.

It was in the gamma/LUT

mabey this is where my problem lies

attached is my settings by the way

settingA.jpg

Edited by Tonze

hey tony your gamma setting is right but in gamma setting bitmap file is missing in new version

but don't worry

just types in your maxscript listener below command

fileingamma=2.2

fileoutgamma=1

fileoutgamma=2.2(if you use srgbspace in vray frame buffer otherwise no)

this will help you

That isn't the over exposed scene, that's how it is in a gamma 2.2 (linear) workspace. What you've been working on and saving out is with a gamma of 1. Technically your first image (the darker one) is incorrect; even if that's the look you want to achieve.

This is of course a technicality - because if it looks how you want it to look then who cares, but you may run into problems when using stock models or working with other people. To get the contrast/gamma back to where it was just set the gamma in photoshop to 0.4545

Edited by Macker

Hello guys ,

i'm having an almost similar problem , only the image isn't being over exposed after saving (the problem isn't from the gamma, colors are correct)

instead after saving , the image becomes a bit Blur , and it loses its sharp quality (the preview from the VFB always looks more detailed than the saved one).

i tried alot of things , including changing the Antialiasing filters and the image sampler ... but nothing works !

Does anyone have any idea ? i would be really thankful if anyone could help.