carpet vray displace modifier

jonathan Evans

i have used a grass displacement to create a carpet in my scene. I have tried to create a rug effect. The carpet is a lighter a colour on the edge of the carpet It seems to breaking out not sure this the right effect . Please any feedback on how ican correct this and make a realisitc looking carpet. I am using vray displac e modifer.

I have attached my bump map and scene.

carpet sprays.jpg

grass displace.jpg

ive zoomed in and the capet is going upin 1 direction just the z direction . Is the effect not more random and the edges of the plane can see how the carpet is coming through the edges in 1 direction

ok cheers

This problem is because you don't have "keep continuity" checked. Also, because VRay will only displace along the normal direction (unless using vector displacement) you will still have those right angles. You would be better off chamfering those edges.

For a "fluffy" carpet, displacement is a bad idea, it's best for short pile carpets. You'd definitely be far better off with using VRay Fur.

do you know a decent plugin that copys and scatters. Im sure grass is created this way which is similar . As when i scattered copied thepoly and scattered manually of square area , It was to much and my pc was overloaded . I have intel i5 processor. i must have been doing something wrong .

does a plugin scatter stop this issue .

ok thans for every one reply as learn many different stles to create a carpet. The one i wanted was a shag style . Icam across a forum that showed crete the polys then these can be scattered. That sounded great but the first issue was when using te couompiound scatter in max it crashed the render . When using a duplicate of the polys and laying them in a square it crashed my pc .

i wrote about a scatter plugin thats free to distribute custom ppoly objects in a scene .

Thats when i was informed on the forest plugin, The free version alllows poly to distributed and placed arond a flat area . It didnt crash my pc . When it over reaches the poly count an f is shown . This worked . Its good for making a shag carpet see attached

sorted.jpg