Good sources for people to photoshop in

I work at an architectural office. We have slowly been doing more and more renderings for clients. Our biggest issue is often a lack of good quality images of people to add to a scene. We are especially short of young kids for water themed parks and resorts. We have found the Viz people has the quality of people we like, but their options are limited to dull business people and a few other options. The also do not have a wide range of ages. Does anyone know of good sources for people? I have bought other "libraries" of people but many appear to be from someone who has just gone through online photography and cut out people. We need the lighting to be consistent in the people so the final rendering images look convincing.

I am sorry to tell you Alastair, that this is one of the most time consuming part of Arch Viz. We all have to deal with the same and more, Race variety, Age, dress style, you can find a lot of image of only one style of people and race, but very little of anything else.

Google will be your best friend and if you really want to do it right, You may need to thing in make your own photos. I work for an Architectural company, and sometimes that's what we do, take our own photos, it is not easy or cheap but in some occasion there is no way around.

Having said that, a few names that pop in my head now are Got3d, Viz people, Epictor, Dosch, mrcutout.com...

• 11 months later...

Have you used vishpper? Looking at the site it looks like many of the early sources for people we found where the lighting is all over the place. Seems like the people are not photographed for the purposes of 3D rendering needs but cut from stock photography or something. The nice part about Vizpeople is that for every person and pose there are many angles of view and two lighting options. Seems like vishopper has one view and one lighting condition per person. So if you find a person that works for you, it may not help as the view and lighting maybe wrong. With sources that look like vishopper (assuming I am correct) we have been frustrated that we are often limited to only a few options of people for each view and our selected people are more driven by lighting and view angle than if they are the right sorts of people to have in the scene. We are always striving for "photo-real" as well and the first give away in a rendering is if the lighting on people is different for each person. Our clients have also been big sticklers for the types of people in our renderings and the options.

If you go out to photograph people, choose an overcast day so the lighting is more even. Then, when put into a rendering in Photoshop, add lighting/shading where needed. One downside is people are more likely to have jackets, but the upside is they are less likely to be sporting shades.

I want to create a library of people walking, eating, sitting and in groups where everyone is looking at their phone.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alastair,

I'm in agreement that it's not possible to find better quality than Viz people - I have used MX greenscreen on occasion - they are mainly video, but stills with alpha can also be bought, they are consistent with lighting color balance etc. but are a bit corporate in feel If anyone knows of an alternative viz people with more character variety I'd be thrilled to know! Nothing looks worse than loads of different lit, inappropriate people in a scene.

your best bet is to hold a casting call and rent a photo studio for a day. It's the only way to get high quality, light controlled source material that exactly fits the demographic you need with proper model releases. It's not that expensive in the long run and once you are bored with them, you can sell the collection.

The alternative would be to go to a waterpark and photograph peoples children but you might want to get a good lawyer first.

• 3 weeks later...