curtains are not letting any light in seem a bit on the heavy side

jonathan Evans

I have created a room in 3dsmax and vray . I am not happy with curtains current material. Advice on what type mateial is used on curtains . To my untrained eye my current material seems a bit heavy. Ive uploaded the curtain without material attached and with the material attached

room 1.jpg

curtains image.jpg

I have attached a image which has the light shining though the curtain . Its not my image but its good to use as reference to help show the example of light shining though this curtain I think it must be from the material used . This should help my explanation as my current curtains are letting no light though

p.s

Its is going through the wall its a mistake. i rectify afteer i have the curtain material

image 1.jpg

Edited by hansolohan

ok ive created a dummy test. Simple lamp shade. Which has vray 2 sided materiel applied. ive posted the settings which are attached to the imags. The material is a mid grey in color. i do belive as the yellow bulb is shinng through the material as the mid grey on the render is yellow and orange colour.

I think i have the basic idea working . Now i need to place a fall off map to have the translucent area visible were the camera faces the viewer and the effect become graudualy opaque as the camera angle faces away from the veiwer .

unsure were i place the fall off map though do place it in the 2 sided material slot

I have found its Perpendicular/Parallel, which front face will be transparent an d the back faces opaque. On my estimated guess on the research

material.jpg

diffuse.jpg

Edited by hansolohan

ok ive found the folowing article on this forum

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/34533-translucent-material.html

question what do place in the opacity map slot / what type of bitmap

Default Re: Translucent material

Set up your curtain material as a standard vray material first, light transmission will be controlled by the opacity slot, whether that is by a colour swatch or a bitmap.

Then copy that material into the base material slot of your 2-sided material. The way it works is that by adjusting the colour swatch you can control how much of the illumination hitting the rear face of the curtain shows through relative to the illumination hitting the front face. That way it gives the illusion of light passing through the solid parts of the material.

Does that make sense?

Edited by hansolohan

ive found opacity map works on black and white value . so maybe a fall off map can be used to have a back lit curtain. I am taken an estimated guess

below is the reason behind estimated guess

I have attched the fall off map in the opacity slot and the diffuse slot. ive attached the fall map to the diffuse slot . This enables visual guide to show were the areas will be transparent or opauque When using the same parameters in the curve editor. The red is the transparent area and the purple/blue color is opuque

starting to make more sense now

so i need to use a 2 sided material for the translucent effect( the whole area would be semi transparent . with a fall off map in the opacity slot thats my new estimated guess

if i have the idea incorrenct Please inform me any one posts to the forum please advise me as i am making estimated answers currently . I am happy for new advice at this early stage

fall off map  - opactiy map slot.jpg

Edited by hansolohan