qeustion regarding sub surface scattering and refraction . i think i have the terms c

i have read and gathered the information from the following scources

Refraction /link below

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/Gen3DTuts/Gen3DSet.html

article on sub surface scattering

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/translucency/translucency.htm

The term on sub surface scattering (sss) .

Sub surface scattering occurs when light travels through an object . Objects which have translucent properties .For example, lit strongly from behind (or in profile), the human face will show signs of subsurface scattering on the earlobes and at the tip of the nose. These facial features are thin, which allows for greater light penetration, The light leaves the object at different angle it enters the object . Due to material surface being rough or smooth . Some examples were light travels through the material properties are grass , human skin , leafs

Refraction

Light travels through different substances at different speeds. Generally speaking, the denser the substance, the slower light moves. When light enters a substance at an angle, this change in velocity causes the ray to be deflected, or bent. This bending is called refraction. The amount light bends index refraction (ri) measure the index refraction by using a maths equation snells law

i hope this is correct

sub surface scattering and refraction both effect the way light travels. One

Refraction changes the light direction based upon the speed of light ray. sub surface scattering changes the light direction based upon the material properties

Edited by hansolohan