[Vray] UV projection and transparency problems (anyone have a polycarbonate .vismat?)

Hello everyone, first post here. I'm having difficulties finding a large community of vray for sketchup users and sketchucation's forums on the subject are slow as a crawl.

i'm looking for (or just the knowledge towards creating) a material like this where the polycarbonate is white and isn't completely transparent.

Here's my dilemma. I have a polycarbonate .vismat implemented into one of my projects and as you can see here, the material is totally clear. Whenever I set the fog and colour settings to white, vray assumes I mean colourless. I've also tried to tamper with the transparency settings here but that didn't seem to heighten the opacity. These seemed to be the go to settings to create my desired effect but now that they aren't working for me I'm a little stuck.

Finally, the UV projection on this material is just everywhere. I need the segment breaks to follow the Y axis but it seems they're just snapping adjacent to a random edge. Again, it's probably an easy fix but I have no idea how to go about it.

Thanks in advance if you're able to take a look at this for me. Popping the hood on a rendering engine's parameters is quite daunting for a new user.

welcome.

I am not a Sketchup-VRay user but the basics in V-Ray stay the same between packages.

The fog material is very sensible to small changes in values. Values between 0.2 and 0.02 create big changes. you just have to fine tune a little until you find your soft spot, usually when you import material from others people, depending on size and scale those values may not work for you.

Having said that, you also have to consider that your glass needs to be a solid mesh, not a single plane. Also take in consideration the lighting, if there is only light outside and it is very strong the effect will be hard to see. you may need to increase the transparency of your glass or maybe place some hidden light inside of your building to make the effect more noticeable.

Regarding the textures UV, in sketchup is kind of simple, just click do right click on the mesh and select texture and adjust as you need. Stretch, scale rotate and so on.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

if you only need it for still images i would fake it with photoshop. just render it with normal glass and vfb channel material id on. then select all the glass and copy the selection to a new layer. blur this one and apply some white overlay. works fine for me.

as for the alignment ov the map. you need to have the same texture map as diffuse and tex_acolor white in the transparency slot. only then vray will align the other maps the same way.

Edited by mowstn