Quick question for advanced Vray users

yasickzagaria

Hi, i currently in a process of learning Vray for arch vis.

Ive been reading and watching a lot of tutorials and starting to understand the technique behind lighting.

However i have a question.

I want to achieve realistic shadow results. From my understanding the shadows should be almost gradient like, so around corners and edges they should be really dark and ease out once its in the more open area.

Ive tried rendering this scene with really high settings and it still makes no difference so im thinking it to do with lights ? Can this be done with vray? Or does it have to be done in post processing ? I know it can be achieve with AO but its not the best solution as it darkens small areas in the scene too much

Please refer to image attachment

01.jpg

02.jpg

"What are you asking exactly? You allready have the "ambient occlusion effect" in your original render, so adding an AO pass in post is not really necessary unless you want unrealistic results."

AO effect doesnt really add realism. What im asking is that my shadows are one tone, where they should be more gradient, dark around edges. So if anything they look cartoony.

"1) are you using hdri or sun for lighting?

2) what are your color mapping settings?"

Im started off with sun but moved onto dome, hdri.

my color mapping settings are.

Reinhard, Gamma 2.2, Multiplier 1. Burn Value. 0.56

Sub pix, affect bg, clamp output ticked, mode color mapping and gamma

1) are you using hdri or sun for lighting?

2) what are your color mapping settings?

Hey, ive started off with Sun but i liked the feel of vray dome better with hdri.

my settings are Reinhard, Gamma 2.2

Multiplier 1.0

Burn 0.5

Only affect background ticked.

What are you asking exactly? You allready have the "ambient occlusion effect" in your original render, so adding an AO pass in post is not really necessary unless you want unrealistic results.

Im talking about my flat shadows, they look almost 2d and cartoon like. AO doesnt help it either. I want corners and objects hard shadows but still have the same gamma of the image.