Wire color

Jon Berntsen

Ok, so every day I am using vray wirecolor pass to get quick selections in photoshop, and I am actually using the magic wand with a tolerance on 10 or something. Usually that works pretty good, so that I can concentrate on other things, but it can cause a fringing problem around small geometry like trees, and around edges in general. When that happens, cloning is a pain in the ass, and it certainly takes time. I honestly haven't put a lot of energy into this, but now it is time for employing a more solid way to always get nice looking trees when using the wire color to mask out the original bg.

Might I ask which method that you have experienced to work best? And fast. I am sure my method is crap, even though it is fast.

Edited by chroma

This is maybe not what you are asking for, but it is a workaround that works well for me: From another thread i got the impression you are using HDRIs to light your scenes. In the vray domelight there is a button you can tick/untick called affect alpha, and if you uncheck that you can save your image with opacity (for example .png) and you should have no problem changing the background in photoshop.

This is maybe not what you are asking for, but it is a workaround that works well for me: From another thread i got the impression you are using HDRIs to light your scenes. In the vray domelight there is a button you can tick/untick called affect alpha, and if you uncheck that you can save your image with opacity (for example .png) and you should have no problem changing the background in photoshop.

Thanks. Yes correct, I use hdri. I always use exr for stills so this method would work for skies/bg there. However, I like to set an initial mood with a hdri background, even if I in 80% of the time decide to change the background in photoshop. It is also about sharing quick drafts with the client with an "example mood" or drafty mood if you wanna call it that, with less time spent as possible. Then it is very handy to have the hdri bg there from the beginning with. There must be a way to make a good selection based on a render pass that doesnt leave fringing and other pixelled errors that has to be corrected. (?) I mean, if the AA is the problem, there should certainly be some kind of pass using that antialiasing too, IMO.

I heard about using multimatte, but I really like the simplicity of just changing the wire colors of the objects. And I am not sure how to best possibly utilize it to get the most effective(quick) and robust selection. Hmmmm...

I am not that familiar with .exr export, I usually save all render channels in .png. When i use this method with turning off the affect alpha on the spherelight, i still get the sky from the hdri in the RGB_color render element, but on the alpha renderelement the sky is black/transparent. So then i can just add that as a mask in photoshop and insert another sky. The alpha renderelement is not "solid" like the wirecolor but antialiased. However, if i check the alpha/transparency checkbox in the png export option thingy, the sky disappears from the RGB_color render element. So perhaps try to mess around a bit in your .exr export settings to see if you can mimick the desired behaviour?

Aaah, right. You are using the alpha pass. I always have it, but never used it. Haha. I am from now on using the alpha pass for changing skies. I assume that the alpha pass AA'ed the same as the rgb pass. Regarding exr, works as the same as png, only float.

Case still remains unsolved for masking our other stuff with the same AA as the rgb pass... But I am very glad about having a solution about the skies! Thanks fellow norwegian ;)