geometry is 'scrunched' when importing a particular DWG model

Rich O

Got a DWG model from a client that appears okay in Autodesk DWG TrueView, however when I import into Max 2015 I get this scrunched up, faceted, overlapping geometry:

geo weird 2.jpg

Client models in AutoCad. I've tried importing previous models from this client and they're fine (all my import settings are the same) so looks like it's not on my end.

Any ideas what could be going on here?

Sometimes this happens when things are modeled too far from project origin/0,0,0. Try to select all your imported geometry, go to the utilities tab i think it is called, the one with the hammer maybe, and look for a button that says "reset xform". Hopefully that should do the trick. If it works, it adds a modifier to your geometry, so to keep working on your geometry you can just collapse the modifier down or convert to poly and it should still work.

The model is georeferenced, and you need it to be moved to around 0 in AutoCad before it's exported. When the model is several hundreds/thousands miles away, max does not have enough accuracy in recreating those vertices. I often deal with this issue, and I am missing a function in max for moving objects to 0 before even recreating and importing. It would make life easier.

Aghhh, yes it is waaaay away from the origin, I get a warning and in fact have to group it and move the group to 0,0 in Max just for it to display properly. I'll see if my client can fix and reexport

Cheers, will report back