Autocad to 3ds max workflow?

mrjackel

What's the best workflow when working with autocad files in 3ds? I read in past threads that many people rebuild the model from scratch in 3ds, but it doesn't seem practical when the architects are still making changes throughout the project. Can autocad models be placed in the max scene and updated without any issues?

Each artist/architect has his/her own workflow, for some things 3D MAx is a faster modeler than AutoCAD for other AutoCAD has advantages.

Foe example I use AutoCAD architecture, for me it is way faster to build the main part of the building there and give details in Max. Doors, windows complex roof systems all those are easy to pop in or out in AutoCAD architecture (Like REVIT families) if Change come (usually does)

they can be done really quick, then update the link to 3D max and voila you can keep working your scene.

Other people prefer model everything in Max, some mentioned that curves quality or details but it is all about how much you know your software.

So can anyone explain why so many people previously advocated remodelling everything in Max....?

Personally - I've been modelling in AutoCAD since the 80's! and can generally produce 3D AutoCAD models faster than most people. I've only used MAX for a few years and was initially very frustrated by the interaction between what are probably the 2 flagship products from the same company, that really should talk to each other almost seamlessly (if not actually seamlessly) and you'd think as a bonus also should enjoy similarities in interface.

However now I've given in, MAX is brilliant and has some far more powerful tools so I almost invariably import only basic information from CAD to MAX and in certain circumstances (mainly quantity of curves) will even retrace in MAX... why? Because for me the end result is always a better model, more efficient poly's, less artefacts = easier life. OK it won't be the same for everyone and especially when your on the bum end of an Architect making changes at the last minute. I'm generally in charge of the design and so only have myself to blame if that happens in the course of a project here.

If I really had to File Link AutoCAD I would spend a bit more time on fine tuning the File Link settings to get the best interpretation of imported data, but I've found that unless an AutoCAD file is stripped right down it's still a bit like driving with the handbrake on in MAX dragging all of the un-necessary info around in your MAX environment.

This shouldn't be seen as a criticism of either piece of software, I've now come to consider them both awesome at what they do. I just wish AutoDESK had concentrated more on aligning them earlier in their development days.

^off topic a bit but I'd say Maya is Autodesk's other flagship these days (after AutoCAD obviously) and it doesn't get on seamlessly with Max either, and they're both part of the same division! (Autodesk Media & Entertainment)

A lot of it stems from most of their products being from different companies that Autodedk have then swallowed up over the years.

Yes I'm referring to the architect being in charge of all of the design, with changes likely to be made.

So when they provide 2d drawings and elevations only (Autocad file), it sounds like I should build the 3d model in Autocad and link it into Max, instead of linking the 2d Autocad drawings into Max and using modifiers to extrude walls etc, which would then update when the Autocad file's updated?

Yes I'm referring to the architect being in charge of all of the design, with changes likely to be made.

So when they provide 2d drawings and elevations only (Autocad file), it sounds like I should build the 3d model in Autocad and link it into Max, instead of linking the 2d Autocad drawings into Max and using modifiers to extrude walls etc, which would then update when the Autocad file's updated?

If you are part of an in-house team, then the above can be true but if you are not, then it makes less sense as you can't really standardize your imports due to every client having their own standards and if the firm changes their dwg file, they still have to send it to you and you manually update it hoping they kept everything organized the same as it was before. Change a layer or redraw an entity and you lose data in your model.

I used to build everything in AutoCAD, then Arch Desktop but the last couple places haven't had those available so I've been modeling everything in Max for the past several years or so. With Revit, it's been more painful keeping the pipeline stable with all of the various updates and fixes (revit update, fbx link update, max update, internal policy updates etc...) so now i just draw a line in the sand at some point with the Revit model and run with it in Max. It's more efficient for our purposes if I break the link. It can frustrate production because i'm generally much faster with updates so the design gets changed with me instead of them and they have to conform as opposed to how autodesk likes to dictate the flow. Also, the revit family data is generally useless to me for interiors so i end up replacing a lot of the modeling regardless. Boots on the ground and all that....