Anyone else find Max 2016 painfully slow...?

Coolhand78

Hey Luke

In my experience it gets painfully slow with the use of Groups - which is a shame as they are a big part of my workflow. Some people on Chaos were advocating linking a set of objects to a dummy instead of groups. I hope SP1 fixes this

Hey Bruce,

yeah I think this might be what the issue was... fingers crossed sp1 fixes it...

Cheers.

even without groups i'm finding it really clunky and laborious... just doing simple things there's a definite lag... zooming, moving objects, creating geometry - the basics...

I'm not sure if its to do with the cads that i'm using or the way they are being brought in (imported - one object (as cant group), place on a layer and frozen...

but it's quite painful to work in... may revert to 2014 till the service pack is out...

I'm too busy yelling at the stupid new and improved scene explorer to notice any viewport differences. I skipped over 2015 so this is the first time I've seen this ball of stupid in action.

Let's remove functional buttons like hide/unhide all, add object to highlighted layer, delete layer, etc. Let's make things drag and drop, auto expanding layers, quad menus oh my! Those features can only come from devs who test this on a scene with 2 boxes and they go, "Yea, that should work in the real world."

i've found that what appears to have been causing my performance issues is due in part to having loaded a custom user interface that i had set up from max 2014, if you reset your user settings by renaming the ENU folder, the performance returns to where it should be.

and rather than having to recreate all the hot keys, menu's etc i've found that if i custom load them individually it seems okay...

still doesn't fix the layer manager however... ;)

• 1 month later...

I just installed the new service pack and still this lag exists. Anyone else still getting this. I'm forced to close max and reopen...I may have to revert back to 2015 :( I use groups all the time and can't change my work flow!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm too busy yelling at the stupid new and improved scene explorer to notice any viewport differences. I skipped over 2015 so this is the first time I've seen this ball of stupid in action.

Let's remove functional buttons like hide/unhide all, add object to highlighted layer, delete layer, etc. Let's make things drag and drop, auto expanding layers, quad menus oh my! Those features can only come from devs who test this on a scene with 2 boxes and they go, "Yea, that should work in the real world."

I'm in the same boat coming from 2 versions back - I've lost hair growth over this new layer explorer crap! Hidden tools, un-intuitive layout, panel always decides to move itself on open, and how awesome that Delete and Rename Layer are in the laggy right click quad menu now.

I completly agree

• 6 months later...
I find it very slow too. Wish I could just switch to something else at this point, like modo 10!!!

Thing is I use corona renderer :-(

Thats pretty funny that you mention modo

When you start to have scenes with several millions of polys or many nodes, Modo becomes unbearable slow to a point where the scene is'nt even really manageable. Of course many other specific area's in modo might benefit from the fresher codebase and clever concept though

Max 2016 is pretty fast, if it's slower than previous Max releases there is something seriously wrong with your installations. The group slowdown bug has been definitely fixed with SP3. Max 2017 is even faster, i guess around 30% over Max 2016 on average ( mesh related stuff )

Edited by spacefrog

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issue with the 3ds max 2016 viewport. But I have some additional information for you all.

c8w90u

here the scene is very small but there is a viewport usage of 30% approximately and surprisingly this happens even when i am not working on max window. i mean when max window is maximise than it is consuming the gpu usage regardless you are working on it or not. but it goes to 0 usage when i minimise max. I have noticed as the scene gets heavier it gets stucked too much that mouse pointer doesn't move at all. and when i check the gpu usage it goes 100 % which is insane. Ideally gpu should only be used when we are moving something or doing some changes on the viewport.

Surprisingly this problem is there in SP3 also.

regards

Manish

• 1 month later...