Lag with ticking "Show shaded material in Viewport"

jacekgrzesiak

Hi, I've got problem with showing materials in viewport. When I assign material to object and tick "Show shaded material in Viewport" there's 1-3 second lag, and it's bigger when material is more complicated. Problem occurs when I add maps like "Checker", "Mix", "Gradient", "Composite" etc. It's not proably the fault of GPU because the problem also occurs when I switched to iGPU. Also, I've tried to change "Display driver" to other like DirectX or OpenGL, and the lag problem disappear. So the problem exist only with Nitrous (D9, D11 and Software) and it's not depend from GPU. Is there a solution to this problem?

3ds max 2014 Student Version

i7-3770K, Geforce GTX660 Ti

Those maps you mention are procedural maps, which have to be baked when they are shown in "realistic" mode in the viewport. This baking time ( = the lag you get ) depends on the resolution they are baked too.

There is a setting available in the Viewport Configuration->Display Performance panel called "Baked Procedural Maps" resolution. It should be at about 512 by default ( maybe even only 256) . Try to set it to lower values and check what works best for your rig...