Google earth model

Well actually, someone in the Foundry forum was experimenting with those photo scanning software.

So the basic workflow if I remember was.

Take several screen shot of the area you want to "copy" then submit those images to the photo scanning software. and the software treat them as aerial photography.

He got some decent 3d models out if but in close up they look really rough. Obviously because was a photo scanned data from a photo scanned data..... like old VHS copied movies :p

Now what's the legality of that?? I don't know :) :) :)

Google earth is moving away of the good'old 3d modeled buildings. everything will be photo scanned data from satellite, witch is pretty cool but. it will be up to them if they are willing to share that.

IMO they should, even if we have to pay for it, there is so much data that can be extracted from those satellite info, depending of the quality it can be even used as survey info.

Edited by fco3d

Well actually, someone in the Foundry forum was experimenting with those photo scanning software.

So the basic workflow if I remember was.

Take several screen shot of the area you want to "copy" then submit those images to the photo scanning software. and the software treat them as aerial photography.

He got some decent 3d models out if but in close up they look really rough. Obviously because was a photo scanned data from a photo scanned data..... like old VHS copied movies :p

Now what's the legality of that?? I don't know :) :) :)

We did a job the other week and they gave us 3d data from the surrounding area which was done just like you described above. Pretty rough close up but worked okay.

It's better for further away shots, but if your camera movements are simple enough, you can set up your camera animation in Google Earth, export the movie from Google Earth and motion track the footage in AE, and comp your rendering in over the GE footage.

It would be awesome to have some sort of GIS-like 3D city data layer to just turn on/off. Textured models would be great, but even just grey massing models would be a great time-saver for adding context to a project.

Many cities and counties have GIS data available, sometimes that even includes 3D of structures. Some of the county I live in, Westchester, is available in LIDAR, so that means buildings and trees. The data formats are weird, so you need GIS software to convert to something WE can use.

There is a ripping software that worked with DirectX, and one or two that supposedly work(ed) with OpenGL, but I have had very spotty results. I have actually saved 3D out of Google Earth in the past, but have not gotten it to work in quite a while. The time involved is probably not worth the results. Someone HAS grabbed entire city centers and is selling the results on 3Dcadbrowser.com pretending the files were built by them.

Yesterday I used a screenshot from my ipad of Apple maps 3D to camera map and model a section of building around a site. That worked well for basic massing.

You can get 3d landforms with photo mapping out of Google Earth by using SketchUp, and of course back to where I started, there are very good landform files available for the entire US, your tax dollars at work.