Lightwave, Rhino or something completely different

Paddie

Hi,

after some Years without real CGI (only Special Program for Gastronomy-Kitchens) my Boss wants to present some Rendered Pictures to our Customers. An Architect we are working with at the moment shows Rhino to her and now she wants it ;-).

I´m more familiar with LW (I worked in my sparetime a little with LW 9.6 and LWcad but sold my License).

The workflow in our Projects is: We´ve got a Plan (as PDF, DXF, DWG, some times hand drawed..."Plans" ;-)), and we build our Kitchen Equipment in this Plan. Our Programm can generate 3D-Views but without any "reality" or so(Texturing is a REAL PITA!!! and if i do this work, the Renders are not as good as some quick and dirty Lightwave-Renders).

Now my question:

What should I buy ;-). LW + LWCad and Octane (or another Renderer) Am I able to import a 3D DWG to Lightwave (buying a Plugin is no Problem), So I don´t have to build all furniture and Machines by Hand ;-).

OR Rhino with ...??

I´ve downloaded the Rhino3D Demo and tried a little, but after an hour of playing i can´t get warm with it. My thougths about this, if everyone told me, TAKE RHINO. I have to bite the bullet and learn Rhino ;-).

Thanks

Paddie

If it is absolutely between those two, I'd suggest Rhino because it plays well with CAD data naturally. That said, I'd suggest you download the Max demo and take it for a test drive. With your LW experience, it will probably feel a bit more natural to you and there are tons of stock models/materials available to help you get up to speed with kitchens very quickly. You will hear a ton from the vray pulpit but I'd suggest you start out with corona. there's a free version (alpha v6) available that is fine to test the waters before spending too much money.

LW was a contender at one point but poor business decisions have placed them pretty far behind.

Thanks for your Answer. I´ve played a little more with Rhino. It is not as bad as I thought first ;-).

I think I try one smal Projekt with the Demo Version.

The only Problem I have now...My Boss thinks.."Hey..with our Program it takes a few hours to build this (There are Models from many Manufacturers and Standard-Furnitures and I only had to set it side by side, or change them a little...Pice of Cake...) so you can do it with Rhino in the same time. As I told her with Rhino (or LW, or any other Programm) it takes some days to build these, she wasnt that happy ;-). OK, after a few Projects I have a some Modells, but i need more than 2 hours for it.

Or what do you think, someone with some knowledge in LW (I would call it advanced novice ;-)) will take to build (modell and render) something like this http://preview.turbosquid.com/Preview/2014/05/19__22_55_06/cam10-001.jpg06f9c053-2c69-40bf-9362-773e9295e5c3Large.jpg ?.

Max is not an alternative. It´s a cool Program, but my Boss wouldn´t spent so much money ;-). And she wouldnt rent software or something else, too.

Many Thanks for your help

Paddie

Aaaah sh*** I wrote an long answer...take one phone call...and close the window...(don´t klick arround if you are on the phone!!!)

Hi ;-)

thanks for your Answer.

I´ve playe a little more with Rhino, it is not that bad ;-).

I think i will try one smal projekt with it.

My only Problem at the Moment...My BOSS ;-).

She thinks..."hey, with our current Programm (ready build Modells from many Manufacturers and some standard furnitures) you build such a kitchen in about 2 hours, so with this you do it in the same time!!!1".

As I told her, it would last a few days if I had to modell every Machine or so, she didn´t believe me...(BOSSES...*sigh*). OK, after a little Time I´ve got a few Modells, but you couldn´t build, and render this in 2 hours!! (or what do you think will it last to build and render something like THIS (not mine)? I would call me advanced novice ;-)).

MAX is not an alternative. Too expensive, and my Boss don´t want to rent something.

Thanks

Paddie

PS: and NO, I can´t take the Modells of our Softwarve its an proprietary File-Format. I can only export 2D dxf :/.