Hello all

I got an offer from a local PC Shop for a new setup I am planning to buy. I do Archi-Viz exterior and interior visualization (3dsMax + Vray). Most of the time when I am rendering I use render farm from my fathers office but would like to get something of my own since I saved a bit. However I am not sure about the segments of PC that influence renderings the most. If you could look at the offer and tell me if there are somethings that are to much/to little it would be great. :D

Here is the offer:

- ASus MB H97-Pro Gamer Intel H97 1150 4xDDR3 VGA DVI HDMI - 115euros

- CPU Intel i7-4790 3.6Ghz 8MB L3 LGA1150 Box, Haswell - 410euros

- G.Skill 8GB DDR3-2400 F3-2400C11D-8GXM - 83euros

- HDD 1 TB, WD10EZRX, SATA-6Gb, Intellipower rpm, 64MB - 70euros

- SD Kingstone 240GB SSDnow V300 SATA3 2.5 SV300S37A/240G - 120e

- DVD-RW LG GH24NSC0 SATA - 15euros

- VGA Sapphire ATI R9270X 2GB DDR5 DVI/HDMI/DP Vapor-X Lite 11217-12-20G- 255euros

- Housing Silverstone Prescidion SST-PS05B - 57euros

- PSU - ATX SilverStone SST-ST50F-P v 1.1 500W 1000% modular 2xPCleX - 92euros

I am slightly over budget so it would be hard to improve something. I am not sure do I need such strong graphic cards. Maybe get something weaker and improve Ram or any other advice? I am also planning to play with Archi Viz and Unreal Engine 4 a bit.

Sorry if I ask to much, but dont have any professional people around me that know if the offer is good for the stuff I do.

Edited by ediskujovic

So, your budget is around 1200€ and you are located in Austria. I think you could buy from German e-shops with relatively low shipping cost. I would see something like that:

1 x Western Digital WD Blue 1TB, 64MB Cache, SATA 6Gb/s (WD10EZEX)

1 x Crucial MX200 250GB, SATA 6Gb/s (CT250MX200SSD1)

1 x Intel Core i7-4790K, 4x 4.00GHz, boxed (BX80646I74790K)

1 x G.Skill Ares DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR3-2400, CL11-13-13-31 (F3-2400C11D-16GAB)

1 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 Mini OC, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (GV-N960IXOC-2GD)

1 x ASUS Z97-AR (90MB0JL0-M0EAY0)

1 x ASUS DRW-24F1ST schwarz, SATA, bulk (90DD01G0-B10000)

1 x Noctua NH-U12S

1 x Raijintek Agos weiß (0R200003)

1 x Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W ATX 2.3 (SF-550P14XE (HX))

Total: 1080€ + shipping

More powerfull cpu, more RAM, better ssd, psu, case etc. You can even go to gtx 750ti with 60€ less. Wait for more input.

Well I am studying Architecture in Wien, but come from Sarajevo. I have to buy it here now(Sa) since Ill be staying for next 3 months and want to work.

Thanks for the setup. Ill take it to my dealer and will see if he can make something out of it.

Any other device you can give me in relation between rendering(3dsmax+vray) and PC configuration?

Take out 60-70€ from the gpu cost by choosing a gtx 750Ti and use them to buy a 4790K with an entry level Z97 motherboard, since vray is a cpu based renderer and you'll be using the gpu mostly for viewport navigation. Some of the parts you've chosen are not worth the money (70€ for a 1TB WD Green is too much, and same goes for the ssd, the psu and the gpu). Could you give us some local e-shop links from Sarajevo? THat would make things much easier for one to help, if you intend to buy this build only from local stores.

Well I am studying Architecture in Wien, but come from Sarajevo. I have to buy it here now(Sa) since Ill be staying for next 3 months and want to work.

Thanks for the setup. Ill take it to my dealer and will see if he can make something out of it.

Any other device you can give me in relation between rendering(3dsmax+vray) and PC configuration?

You can limit the "geizhals" results to offers from austria. But i think it's maybe 10% more expensive then.

Thanks for the help

I went today in few shops and got few offers. None of them had: Noctua NH-U12S; Raijintek Agos weiß (0R200003); Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W ATX 2.3 (SF-550P14XE (HX)); and G.Skill Ram. and some other componets where i could save money, they were all branded top marks.

Here are two Local shops that kind of have the most. It would be great if you could check it out. Few things to know:

Motherboard- Maticna Ploca

Power Supplies - Napojne Jedinice

Case - Kucista

RAM - Memorija

Rest is kind of universal.

The prices are in KM, simply half it and you will convert it in euros. 10KM - 5e ; all products have 3y warranty and they will assemble the PC

http://www.plus.ba/

- MB ASUS Z97-A 1150 4xDDR3 VGA DVI HDMI DP

- DDR3 16GB (2x8) 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Predator Series XMP (Is rendering affected when it is 2x8 and not like 16gb straight?)

- SSD KINGSTON 240 GB HyperX Fury

- VGA GIGABYTE nVidia GV-N760WF2OC-2GD

- Power Supply Cooler Master B Series 600W

- DVD RW ASUS BLACK SATA

- Intel Core i7-4790k X4 4.00GHz 8MB HD4600-350Mhz BOX

- HDD 3.5 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm SATA3 64 MB

- Case COOLER MASTER SILENCIO 550 (I really like this one since it has sound isolation)

Total: 1500e

This is the offer plus.ba gave me. GPU is to strong i can put 750ti maybe, saw it on their website for 165. Dont know if other things are overkill.

Geizhals is awesome, but since I am buying through a firm for which i worked for, this is my only option.

Thanks a lot for help, I really appreciate it

Edited by ediskujovic

He man,

Below follow some points to consider.

if you can stretch you budget maybe a little bit, you might consider purchasing the x99 platform. For example:

If purchase can be delayed, you might want to wait for the coming skylake architecture.

Few questions:

-what's the maximum amount of money you feel comfortable spending (in the currency mentioned on the website plus.ba)

-do you want a big or a small pc

-do you use extra cards, like a soundcard

Few Suggestions:

-this cpu is cheaper: the i7 1231 v3 (however no internal graphics and no overclocking), pair it up with a b85 mobo or a h81 mobo

-you can also look at the asus z87 pro mobo which have come down in price (unfortunately not on the website you mentioned)

-the gigabyte z97p-d3 (only hdmi) is a cheap mobo which allows overclocking

-for the gpu you might lwant to ook for a second hand, like a gtx 660

I took a quick look at the website you mentioned and below is an example of what you COULD do:

http://www.plus.ba/proizvod/mb_gigabyte_ga-z97-hd3_2.0_sck.1150 or http://www.plus.ba/proizvod/mb_gigabyte_ga-z97p-d3_1.0_sck.1150

http://www.plus.ba/proizvod/intel_core_i7-4790k_x4_4.00ghz_8mb_hd4600-350mhz_box_sck.1150

http://www.plus.ba/proizvod/vga_gigabyte_nvidia_gv-n750oc-1gi_1gb_ddr5

http://www.plus.ba/proizvod/ddr3_16gb_(2x8gb)_1600mhz_kingston_hyperx_fury

http://www.plus.ba/proizvod/napojna_jedinica_seasonic_s12-bronze_520w_(ss-520gb)

http://www.plus.ba/proizvod/cooler_cooler_master_hyper_212_evo

Storage and pc case is personal.

Hey thanks a lot for the awesome advice. However those from Plus were expensive and I went with an offer from them to another dealer where I basically said that I was a student blabla and they gave me some fair discount on a build with the things they had. So at the end I got:

- i7 4790 3.6Ghz (they highly advised me not to use Overclocking since I have none experience with it)

- H97-Pro Gamer ASUS mobo

- Radeon R7 265 2GB GDDR5 (I really wanted gtx 750ti but they didn't have it and offered this for the same price and no need to wait)

- G.Skill 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1600Mhz

- PSU ATX SilverStone 800W 80plus something (didnt get the bill yet)

- SSD Kingstone 240GB HyperX Fury

- COOLIT SYSTEMS ATi HD4870 LCW1G-R

- Cooler Master Case, not sure which one but its cool

Total: 1100e which is under the budged.

Now two questions:

- Can someone explain me MHz on RAM. Dealer told me not to get more then 1600Mhz since motherboard wont be able to read it. Now I got 4 spots on mobo and filled 2 with 1600Mhz. I know that this mobo has 3200Mhz. Now do those MHz add up or how do they actually work (I know that they can be important in Archi-viz)?

- My best option with extra cash is to take two more G.Skills 1600MHz with 8GB each?

Thanks a lot guys/girls :D

Don't worry about ramspeed. Really. If you don't believe me. There are plenty of ramspeed vs rendering tests done you can find on the web. There has also been written about this in some previous topics, but I don't feel like looking them up.

I would go for 16 gb, giving you 2 gb per thread if you go for a i7 (4 cores/8 threads).

I find it odd they advised you not to go for a i7 4790k. It has a build in turbo which goes up to 4.4 ghz, extra handy for modelling. So even when you're not overclocking the turbo will still do it's job giving you that extra speed. Just put a big ass cooler on top of it, because they can get hot. If you buy this processor, you will overclock it at some point and this will shave of something of your rendering times.

Does this means you can't go for a non overclocking cpu, like the i7-4790 or a i7-1231 v3? No, it just depends on how fast you want things to go and what speed you are comfortable with. And a i7 4790 is a very fast cpu, but the i7 4790k give you that extra bite.

I find it also odd they advised you a 800 w power supply.

What kind of pc you have now?

If you want the best performance without spending too much cash, just have another look at previous posts in this topic. Some good info is there.

Well not sure why but he said that he had few bad experiences with k and basically didn't want to do it at all. The problem here in Sarajevo is that they don't have as much equipment as in other countries and the ones they have are branded and highly priced. Honestly I think I have the speed I need now, since I work for other students and they usually they don't require top quality, since they cant pay for it. The Pc got delivered today and its awesome:D, especially after going from Dell i5 notebook -.-

He got 800w left and since he is the supplier in the town he got all the certifications and warranty that comes with it which is not a common thing here. And plus I thought in the future when I start upgrading my self in Wien it would help.

edit: I returned it so that they can put gtx 760 instead of AMD radeon R7 265 as I requested the first time

Edited by ediskujovic

- i7 4790 3.6Ghz (they highly advised me not to use Overclocking since I have none experience with it)

- H97-Pro Gamer ASUS mobo

- Radeon R7 265 2GB GDDR5 (I really wanted gtx 750ti but they didn't have it and offered this for the same price and no need to wait)

- G.Skill 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1600Mhz

- PSU ATX SilverStone 800W 80plus something (didnt get the bill yet)

- SSD Kingstone 240GB HyperX Fury

- COOLIT SYSTEMS ATi HD4870 LCW1G-R

- Cooler Master Case, not sure which one but its cool

They advised you not to overclock and therefore you shouldn't use a 4970K at its stock clockrate? Logic?!?

Sure, you need a decent cooler, but this shouldn't be problem.

Very strange...

And a 800W PSU,no Geforce, but watercooling for the GPU? Really?

Very strange...

(If this is really a 800W SilverStone then it is very old (available 2008-2012) and probably not Haswell ready (C6/C7 low power states) http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/PSU/2013_H_CPU_support.pdf

New SilverStones are 750 or 850W. Either way it is oversized and much too expensive for such a system...)

As for the GPU i send it back so that they switch it to GTX 760. As for the Cooler I told him that it will work almost 24/7 plus it will be in room with which I share with roommate.

Ill tell you tomorrow which PSU is it exactly.

I think Ill go with the money left for 16Gb ram and leave the CPU, since its not that big of a difference in my level.

Edited by ediskujovic