Guest filipvogles

Quick tips (I'm not a pro, far from it tho)

Toilet plunger and unaesthetically objects are unnecessary in an arch-viz image.

Scaling is a bit off, the toilet vs the door vs the sink...might be camera settings tho. For example, the bathroom's door handle is too high.

Sometimes the bump mapping is a bit too much imo. Bathroom's ceiling for example.

Over-exposed image in the bathroom scene. The close-up on the sink.

This is all very easy to tweak. Good luck keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest filipvogles

Thanks for the reply!

Also, i wonder what you guys would suggest me to do: continue doing these visualizations and expand my portfolio with that content or adjust my portfolio into a game art portfolio?

I hope i get some replies for this soon!

Edited by filipvogles

I don't hire at my company, but I am often asked to find people for review.....

If I were to see your work in that context, I would say that it is clear you have the basics of the render engine down and that you can clearly use a 3D program, but your work lacks style. That isn't a dig by any means, just that your camera work and paint are very general and that there is room to grow.

For cameras you should look at architectural photographers. They use straightened verticals and would shy away from the lower lenses that create distortion at the edges of the image.

Architecturally, it seems to me that you are not always considering the accuracy of scale. Your images are close, but things like the toilet in your bathroom render and the sink, seem far too big to have been measured against real world items. And something is off about the door as well.

As far as paint, I would say tat you should take a stand. For contrast, color, FX, etc... These aren't things that need to be one way or another, but you should have an approach that is self-evident much like a photographer does.

Look at this guy: http://www.joefletcherphoto.com/

He clearly uses color and softer shadows throughout is images. They are sufficiently bright and the compositions are evocative. His work is extremely balanced and very little is ever at the edge of exposure.

You won't do this over night, but by mimicking the photographers and targeting what you hope to gain from each image, you can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.

Set Dressing takes a designers eye, but that too comes from studying what you see in magazines and architectural images. Philippe is correct that about the innocuous items in your renders. Think style more than "what do I have in my bathroom?" What makes a more evocative image?

The industry is about story telling and realism; art and architecture. Keep trying to stylize our images and create ever-more accuracy in scale and materials.

You are off to a good start, but it's time to start copying images that you like. Learn from copying photographers. Build known architecture and render it like the photographs you can reference for it. I think that will help you grow the fastest and will give you a solid set for your portfolio.

I hope that is helpful.

I agree with Corey. There's an evident lack of style. I can see that you're at the beginning, and like every newbie, you're impressed by what a 3D render engine can do...so you bump up the materials, regardless of the realism. It seems you don't use photoshop so much, many of your renderings would be good if only you could add some more textures playing with blending modes. You definitely need to adjust the camera correction, usually straight vertical lines are better, except if you need a fish eye view.

Don't worry, everybody has to start somewhere...after 2 years i'm still a mediocre archiviz man...

Guest filipvogles

Alright, thanks for the feedback!

Can you tell me what you suggest me to do: adjust my portfolio into a game art portfolio or should i keep going for the visualizations as i did up until now?(I know that this is the question i shouldn't be asking but i'd just like to know what your suggestions are so i asked it anyway.)

I would also like to know if i should keep some things(work's images) in the portfolio, delete them all and remake the portfolio from scratch or just delete some of the work's images(if you think i should do this, then tell me what work's images you suggest me to delete)?

Edited by filipvogles

You have to decide what interests you the most and focus on it...Do you just like 3d stuff in general or more specifically architecture? I prefer Architecture over 3D stuff personally. If you just enjoy creating 3d models/levels you could possibly have more fun in the game/movie industry... It really depends on what are your interests!!!

Guest filipvogles

I think i like rendering/visualizations and architecture more than game art but the thing is i had difficulties finding a job for this and i think there's a lot more jobs available for game and movie industry... feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though! And also, by difficulties i meant that i couldn't find many places that offer jobs in this field and not that my work isn't good enough.

If you think my work isn't good enough to get employment, then feel free to say so here!

Do you guys know any good ways and places to find and maybe get a job in this field?

Edited by filipvogles

I guess it depends where you live...Are you in the north america?

(make sure to have a killer portfolio before)

-Look for rendering/3d generalist studios (They probably do products viz too)

-Look for big architectural firms (they have their own rendering department)

or go the freelance route and try to sell your services to :

(make sure to have a professional-looking website and some good demo work to show)

-smaller/medium architectural firms (those who don't do renderings in-house)

-industrial designer

-interior designer

-big property developers

I am in Montreal, Canada and we have websites like this http://mtlunescodesigners.com/en/search which is a directory of pretty much every professionals of architecture, design etc. Very useful to find potential clients. Maybe you can find something like that in your town. Good luck

Edited by philippelamoureux

Guest filipvogles

Location where i live might have been at least part of the reason why i couldn't find any jobs.

I am in Croatia capital Zagreb.