Another Revit import question

philvanderloo

Has anyone figured out the best way to bring files from Revit into max 2016, (Vray 3.20.1)?

It's been so inconsistent for me and, even when I do get the model into max the geometry is really bad.

Since loading max 2016, every time I try to reload my revit file I either get a message saying the fbx file is empty, or the file loads with autodesk default materials and all my vray materials get wiped out.

I always make sure to select keep 3ds max materials procedures on reload, and Keep 3ds max scene materials assigned on reload.

I usually end up combining by revit material because that always worked best for me in the past.

But since loading 2016 and VRay 3.20.1, I can't seem to get it to work at all.

The second part of my question is- If I could edit the Revit geometry better in max, I wouldn't have to keep editing in Revit and reloading. But when I try to select one wall, (or any other single object), to change the geometry,

ALL the walls are selected and I can't figure out how to edit as needed. There is no option to "convert to" anything. It's an editable mesh and unable to be selected on it's own.

Thank You

To me using FBX link, merged by Family is the way to go, when I used by material I had the same issue that if someone add a new wall or family with some new material it will break the link. not sure why or how, it just happens. it is Autodesk after all right? ;)

Using FBX and link first while the designer make his mind, after the design is"done" I merge the file.

While it is linked you can add a Mesh modifier in top of the mesh and then you can use sub object selections to do changes.

Other time I just use FBX link and then right away I merge the scene, even though sometimes I know that changes will come but to be honest since the Architects are thinking in other matters and not in do a nice modeling for Visualization most of the time the models are full of crossing wall un-joint ceilings and other crazy stuff. I rather go through the re-import and link than delink with the limitations of linked files.

Of course your mileage will vary depending of the scale of project.