Max 2016 Slice Modifier issues

Scott Schroeder

Anyone else been having issues with the slice modifier in 2016? Seems like AD decided to break yet another tool that has been working since the dawn of time.

slicey.jpg

Both files are the exact same. Shaded + Edged faces and wireframe. Backface cull is enabled in both.

Sure unchecking edged faces in 2016 solves the issue in shaded mode, yet wireframe still shows the top. Turning off backface cull solves the issue in both shaded and wireframe, but that's just a BS "surface" fix. If it worked in 2014 and below withe edges faces AND backface cull on, why is it broken now?

The only way around it in 2016 is to have the slice modifier operate on faces. Which while it clears up the ghosting, it randomly inserts verts along your edges.

There are several reports about "ghost" geometry with Max 2016, i don't think you'll find anything in config files

I never was able to repro on my system, but the problems described, look from similar to yours to"lazy" screen redraw effects, where changes to geometry ( new edges etc..) only got displayed with a noticable delay ( ~1 secs ) leading to interesting trail like effects if slice plane moved etc...

Again - i was never able to repro ( W7, GTX780 ), so it might be that a special combo of OS version, Desktop composition (Aero) ON/OFF, display driver version, GPU hardware condition might result in those effects.

There are several reports about "ghost" geometry with Max 2016, i don't think you'll find anything in config files

I never was able to repro on my system, but the problems described, look from similar to yours to"lazy" screen redraw effects, where changes to geometry ( new edges etc..) only got displayed with a noticable delay ( ~1 secs ) leading to interesting trail like effects if slice plane moved etc...

Again - i was never able to repro ( W7, GTX780 ), so it might be that a special combo of OS version, Desktop composition (Aero) ON/OFF, display driver version, GPU hardware condition might result in those effects.

Ahhh crap. It just seems odd that 2016 is doing it and 2015 and 2014 are not. However, I couldn't reproduce it on my home machine either and it is a much older machine and video card than what I have at work. I'm on Windows 7 on both machines, both up to date on all drivers, Aero is off on both, and what not.

It's odd because those ghostly edges don't go away. Not even after a fresh restart of max. Even collapsing down to a poly doesn't solve it and you can still select the mesh by clicking on the ghosted edge. However, it doesn't show up in rendering if you use something like VrayToon or VrayEdge. If I slice via the slice in the edit poly, I get none of this. I don't have any other ghosting problems other than using the slice modifier.

Ahhh crap. It just seems odd that 2016 is doing it and 2015 and 2014 are not.

Under the hood, there are A LOT things going on with Nitrous and the underlying OGS framework

eg on the SDK side, with Max 2016, Nitrous opened API access to the fixed viewport pipline via shader fragments ( background, geometry shading, overlay, postFX etc). That allows 3rd party developers to do some real great things with Nitrous viewports.

Haven't seen anything in that regard implemented though ...

Regarding the ghosting:

Could you list GPU and driver versions on the home vs. the new machine please ?