Vray - online courses

Guest jeffreyspear

Guest jeffreyspear

Hi guys

So I am curious if any of you have done the 2g vray course advertised on CGA.

I am having issues with my own work...ie , its not bad , but I think I can be so much better with proper help. At the moment i look at tutorials on youtube or wherever I can find to teach myself and try get better , but perhaps doing a course geared at specific outcomes is the way forward.

I think my problem lies within Vray and not understanding it as a whole and therefore not utilizing all its capabilities.

I would consider myself a beginner to intermediate 3d artist at this stage...but thats relative I suppose.

Have any of you had good results with any courses online , and if so which ones ?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

If you struggle with the vray settings, I think you should give Corona a try. It is designed for artists so you can basically just keep the default settings, put in lights and materials and click "render". Its a great engine and there is a 45days free no limit trial: https://corona-renderer.com/download/

Also, if you hover the mouse over a render setting/button, it will tell you what that setting does. Makes it great to explore the options and gives you a good idea on what to change in material settings etc.

Guest jeffreyspear

Thanks Jens

I have seen some very nice renders from artists using Corona and will explore it as an option!

Hi there

I have done most courses online - 2GA/Grant Warwick/Ciro Sanninos and almost every youtube video.... as a beginner i would recommend Ciro Sannino 5SRW and especially his book 'Photography and Rendering with Vray' - i remember when i was first starting out in vray i was pretty crap and i took the course and i am not kidding, almost instantly after doing the course I was producing renders 500% better!! It just gave me some guidance on how to simplify the process and de-clutter what i was trying to learn via youtube videos as there are so many methods by many different people....

For me now the challenge is to move on from the use of exponential color mapping for interiors and trying to use techniques where i use more linear multiply as the colour mapping as it gives much more freedom in post production and depth of colour and light/shade... BUT having said that it also introduces more technicalities and difficulties trying to get the right balance... renders with exponential is a more generic approach and with this you will get your images over the line... but if you ever want to take it to the next level, linear multiply is the key....

When you have more experience, I suggest you do the 2G/Grant Courses as a lot of the things they teach there will make more sense.... 5SRW is a very nice soft entry into learning 3DS/Vray

Good luck!

• 1 month later...