Love thy Clients.

Sorry but I don't understand what's the relation between what you wrote and the video posted...

If I only read the post I would say, it is recommended always put in the contrast time frames and benchmarks. I never give a hard date, but instead I give a sort of floating date counting from the day I receive their files.

That way they know if they take a month, for me to send something will be a week or so after that month.

I recently split a project with a colleague. The client went out of her way to pay me early and let me know how much she and her client loved my, and my friend's work, also apologized for the short schedule and last minute changes. My friend and I discussed this, decided she was delightful to work with. She called me with an update (getting the project through NY's Landmarks process) and described working with my friend and me as ... delightful.

That's a client I love.

Neil,

I think your response is simple. Be honest and tell them that they have delayed the design info delivery and that will have an impact on the deadline. You need to make in an effort to catch up a bit, but there is no need to kill yourself to meet the original deadline. communication is key as is a show of good faith efforts on your part to deliver a quality product in a timely manor. It can't be about you nor their folly in getting you what you need. It is about the project and the very real time it takes to create high quality visuals.

If it they continue to delay you should continue to hound them for what you need and start telling them, if you haven't already, how much time it will take once you receive their info.

Client's want what they want, but they are ultimately understanding if you are communicating with them clearly.

Good luck.

Corey says it well. My post wasn't really on topic, sorry. It happens a lot--the design docs are late but the project is expected to stay on schedule. I usually have another part that I can work on for a while, but at some point you cannot make meaningful progress, and the deadline must be discussed if not re-negotiated. Those are never easy calls.