Wanting to specialize in Architectural Visualization, don't know how.

janbigas

Hey guys, I just want to say thanks to everyone that reads and decides to help!

So, I graduated from an architecture bachelors degree about a year ago. I decided during the time I was employed that I wanted to specialize in Arch-Viz; since I was always the designated "Render Guy" and because I really enjoyed it.

But now that I'm here, I couldn't be more lost! The world of Arch-Viz seems daunting from where I'm standing. Its not clear to me if I should: look for a degree in 3D Modeling, just keep working on my own through tutorials or aim for a rendering firm.

I also want to work with augmented/virtual reality, but can't seem to find any courses. I've checked game design degrees, but is that going too far?

I will really appreciate any suggestions or help! Thank you.

I also looked at 3d artist degrees in my town but most courses are too game-oriented. You have a degree in architecture it's already a huge plus in my opinion. I think you should stick with online courses or tutorials for the 3d modeling/texturing/lighting/rendering. It's possible to learn quite fast. At school, they'll teach you how to build a game level or model game assets...it does not really apply to arch-viz. Better spend your time learning composition and photography imo. Just be patient and try to read as much as you can about visualisation. The VR stuff is pretty new, I mean, the hardware isn't even there yet (for the most part)!!! Gotta rely on forums and youtube :-)

-Learn the basics of a 3d modeling software, ideally 3ds max for the amount of plugins/scripts/render engines available.

-Learn an easy to setup renderer like Corona to start with (almost a one-click photorealistic renderer)

-Learn some photoshop post-production techniques

-Install unreal engine 4 and start experiencing real-time arch-viz to eventually make the jump to VR

Best way or fastest would be to join a cg studio or an architectural firm that does in-house rendering. If you want to learn by yourself, just make sure you have a truckload of freetime ahead of you lol

All of the above--follow several directions at once. Something should work out. Develop whatever skills you can in rendering, whether modeling, shaders, artistic composition, animation. The hardest part, though, is whether you can make a living where you are. Are there studios or clients enough to find work? I don't know much about Puerto Rico. Is there work there, or in the Caribbean? Maybe somewhere else within the US would offer more opportunity.

It appears to me that you know what you are doing. Just need to use more 3d and less photoshop :-) But your style if definitely something clients may be interested in. It's not ALWAYS about ultra realism. Your images have a good sense of story and good mood too imo. Just rafine your skills with a 3d software imo and the rest should come pretty easily. The less 2d elements the better your images should be! Keep it up. ;)

Edited by philippelamoureux

It appears to me that you know what you are doing. Just need to use more 3d and less photoshop :-) But your style if definitely something clients may be interested in. It's not ALWAYS about ultra realism. Your images have a good sense of story and good mood too imo. Just rafine your skills with a 3d software imo and the rest should come pretty easily. The less 2d elements the better your images should be! Keep it up. ;)

Thanks so much Philippe, I've wanted to incorporate 3D assets for a long time. Im a bit bummed that my next step doesnt seem to involve going back to college (I was looking forward to it), but I will press onward no matter what the best method is.

Are there any courses that you would recommend?

I'd agree with Justin, I like the style (not everything, but generally) and would encourage you to sort of stick with it and develop that style, rather than necessarily concentrate on learning too much more 3d. Otherwise there's a danger your work will just end up looking like the rest of our work here ;-)

The only other thing I'd suggest is - to dive in, get out there, get working and forget about college, you've probably learnt enough from that avenue, you now need to get on with the real world training.

Good luck.

Thanks guys! I was actually cringing when uploading those. Thought they weren't going to be received positively.

So now that mostly everyone has warned me about "college"; can we talk a bit about a portfolio?

What would be the bare minimum I would have to produce in order to be considered? With what I have now, would it be possible to have a shot? (Please be brutally honest here, I can take it...I think? Haha) I live all the way in Puerto Rico, and moving is no problem. In other words, I can relocate absolutely anywhere in the world.

Hope to keep furthering the discussion, you guys have been a MASSIVE help.

We said forget college because most of the time, 3d courses are either gaming related or vfx related. But... since you are ok relocating anywhere in the world you could always take a course here : http://www.stateofartacademy.com/

sounds like a great place to learn and it's focused on arch-viz. I guess it depends if you want to work asap or you are ok sitting in class for 1-3 years and learn about everything related to 3D. what's cool about learning yourself is you decide where to put your efforts. I never cared about animation so I can avoid that. If you care about modeling and composition you can only do that full time!

Andrew Price (owner of blenderguru) has a full course about arch-viz and he seems to know his shit. It's for blender but most principles applies to any software. check it out http://www.thearchitectureacademy.com/sp/28053-buy-now I think for 297$ it's a neat little package!

Or, like I said earlier, Grant Warwick's courses are awesome. Check out his free videos to get an idea of his teaching style. It's not just tutorials, he explain what he does. http://masteringcgi.com.au/masterings/

On my side, I'm trying to push unreal engine as much as possible and do everything in it. Lighting, texturing, post-prod, animations, motion graphics, vr... all in the same software. It's so much more convenient than learning 32 different softwares.

I also suggest you to download Corona Render and give it a try, you'll be amazed! You can spend less time learning a renderer and more time learning composition and architectural photography. I've spent so many hours watching vray tutorials just to setup the damn renderer and get decent results lol. Corona is plug and play. I also suggest you to spend time mastering modeling....It's the basis of a good scene imo.

Edited by philippelamoureux

You've got the basics down for sure, you'll learn a massive amount if you can get a job in a studio. If there's anywhere local I suggest you see if you can do a few weeks work for free.

Unfortunately I think you'll struggle trying to persuade a studio in another country to take you on, they get emails like this all the time and it's a big risk when there are often plenty of other applicants in the same country. If anyone has had success with this though please do say.

If you want to improve your technical skills (modelling, texturing, basic lighting, etc) I recommend Digital Tutors if you can afford it, I learnt more using that than I did at university. There aren't many secrets these days it's pretty easy get to a good standard by just following tutorials off a few blogs.

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/

http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/

http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/chapter-four/

Skip Grant Warwick's VRay tutorials until you've got a bit more experience. They're awesome tutorials and Grant is a top guy but I think he fails to really clarify that his optimization techniques are more like if you're sending final renders and want perfect quality. I see too many people just whacking in obscene amounts of subdivs with brute force and waiting all night for a render when you can have something that looks almost identical in under half the time. /rantover

Hope that was some help.

Edited by maxwood