Sun path?

mrjackel

I've been asked to work on a residential development. They need to work out the sun path and the sun's obstruction from the adjacent buildings, but I'm unsure of the best way to go about it.

The development is a large house on a hill, and it is surrounded by about 10 other homes.

Any suggestions for a simple & effective way to work this out?

Hi Chris, I assumed that was the only way. It doesn't have to look good but I need it to be a true representation, and for it to be as quick and as low cost as possible. How would you recommend getting all of that model information?

A survey's not available at this point. I have the title plans, and limited access to the site (it's heavily overgrown). The developer doesn't want to heavily invest yet. They've asked me to come up with some concepts for the land, but to do so I need the sun info. Thoughts?

What software are you using? You can get a pretty accurate-ish topo straight out of Google Earth via Sketchup and bring that into Max or Revit as an underlay. Both of those programs will give you an accurate sun path. Place your building in the correct spot above the underlay and then make simple cubes for the surrounding buildings. You can trace the footprint and then just estimate the height based on pictures.

If you need more granular azimuth/altitude data I like to use this website:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

http://www.sollumis.com/

Type in the address

and set the month etc.

Click on the lines to get rid of them and click erase to replace them.

This is a very useful tool for getting the sun rise and sun set.

Thinner the line the lower the sun , thicker higher.

should be used when submitting a report for backing up you work and for verifying north points.